- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Slow Cooker Lamb and Leek Curry Recipe
Slow Cooker Cook Book
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 6 hours
- Ready in: 6 hours 30 min
- Yields: Serves 4
Rate this Recipe
This recipe is based around an original recipe for Lamb and Potato Curry from the Slow Cooker Cookbook edited by Gina Steer (you can see it to the right). As most curry recipes are usually a bit spicy for me and my sister we have to alter recipes to suit our pallets and the families preferences.
This is a tasty and filling recipe, that is suitable for all the family. Plus as it is mainly done in the slow cooker it is pretty simple too, great if your working all day but still want to come back to a home cooked meal (it can also be done on the hob though, you just need to gently simmer for around 30 minutes instead of slow cooking at the end). It has great flavours from the combination of spices but is still smooth and just a little creamy thanks to the coconut milk.
I hope you enjoy checking out this recipe, if you do try it please come back to rate it and let me know what you thought of it! You'll find more tasty recipes on my account too.
As a family we all really enjoyed this dish, we made it mild to suit our tastes but it can easily be spiced up (see suggestions at the end) if you like it a bit hotter. I found it really filling when served with around 80g (uncooked weight) of rice, it makes a really great main meal - serve it with naan bread and mango chutney for the perfect home cooked take away curry!
The Finished Dish
- 450g Lamb, fat removed and cubed
- 2 Leeks, sliced
- 2 White Onions, peeled and chopped
- 450g Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-3 cloves/2tsp Garlic/Lazy Garlic, crushed if using cloves
- 1-2 (depending on taste) Green Chilies, deseeded and diced
- 125g Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2tbsp Vegetable Oil, (or alternative if you rather)
- A few Curry Leaves
- 1tsp Ground Cumin
- 1tsp Ground Coriander
- 1tsp Tumeric
- 1tbsp Tomato Puree
- 150ml/1/4pint Coconut Milk
- 150ml/1/4pint Water
How to make Lamb and Leek Curry
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic, onions and leeks and fry for a few minutes until starting to brown and soften.
- Add your garlic, curry leaves and spices and continue to heat for a further few minutes, make sure to stir continuously.
- Add your lamb and heat until the meat has browned all over. Stir the mixture well so the meat gets fully coated in the spices.
- Add your tinned tomatoes and stir the mixture thoroughly. Then transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Blend together the tomato puree and water, then slowly add the coconut milk until all is combined. Add the sauce to the slow cooker mixture and gently combine
- Lastly add your potatoes and carrots to the mix and stir together.
- Put your slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.
- Serve over rice, with some indian side dishes and enjoy!
Step by step images
Try one of these alternatives
Here are a few alternatives to make this curry even better
1. Like a bit more spice in your curry then swap out the green chilies for 2 red chillies instead, they will add an extra bit of bite to the curry
2. Not a fan of Lamb? This recipe would work just as well with beef or pork instead
3. Want it veggie friendly? Try tofu or quorn as a meat substitute, or add aubergine and celery to make it extra veggie
4. Instead of serving with rice why not try it over couscous for a more moroccan feel
The Facts and Figures
|Serving size: 451g|
|Calories from Fat||225|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 25 g||38%|
|Saturated fat 12 g||60%|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 36 g||72%|
|Cholesterol 101 mg||34%|
|Sodium 132 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More great slow cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipe - Jamie Oliver's Ham Joint or Gam...
How to cook a ham in a slow cooker. Cooking a ham in Coca Cola or Coke then baking the ham in a lovely sticky aromatic glaze, it is a great yummy dish that the whole family will enjoy and will be perfect served hot or cold
- Pork Escalopes in Creamy Cider Sauce Recipe
Looking for a great quick tea time recipe, that is healthy and filling, and will be loved by all the family, check out this recipe for Pork Escalopes (chops) in Creamy Cider Sauce
- Provencal Beef Stew Recipe for the Slow Cooker
Great simple recipe for a rich, fruity stew that all the family will enjoy. Made with simple, homely ingredients making it cheap and easy to produce and totally tasty.
- Lamb and Leek Curry Recipe for the Slow Cooker
Great recipe for a tasty, filling mild curry. Can be made in the slow cooker or on the hob. It is super simple to make and great for the whole family.