Lasagne Mexicane Recipe
This is an easy lasagne recipe, with a twist. With only a few, small variations to the standard recipe, you can turn plain old lasagne into a spicy, mexican inspired meal! Any extra cheese sauce can also be used as a tasty nacho cheese dip!
- 1 Large onion, Chopped
- 2 Jars Chille Con Carne Sauce
- 2 Packs Cheese Sauce Mix
- 2 Packs Fresh Lasagne Sheets
- 1 Pack Doritos
- 1 Block Mexicana Cheese
- 2 Tbs Tex Mex seasoning
- 2 Packs Mince
Chilli MinceClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cheese SauceClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Brown the mince while chopping the onion, then toss the onion in when ready, along with the tex-mex seasoning.
- Drain any fat out of the mince when cooked. (This is optional, some people prefer to keep the fat for flavour)
- Return the mince to the heat, and add the jars of chilli sauce. (I am aware that a lot of my recipes include off the shelf ingredients, this is simply because I don't like food prep, but feel free to replace these elements with home made versions)
- While the Chilli is cooking, begin heating the Cheese sauce. You can either use the stuff from a jar, from a packet or make your own, its up to you. Never allow the cheese sauce to boil, just heat it gradually.
- Then add approx. half of the block of Mexicana Cheese, grated, to the cheese sauce and stir constantly. The sauce should begin to thicken. Again, do not allow it to boil.
- Once the chilli is cooked (after approx. 20 mins), and the sauce has thickened, begin to layer your lasagne in a large oven dish. Lasagne sheets first, then cheese sauce, then chilli, then repeat. Again, it's up to you what lasagne sheets you use, but I prefer to use fresh sheets, as i can cut them with scissors to the shape of the dish I'm using, rather than trying to crudely snap dried pieces... plus, fresh pasta cooks so much quicker)
- I usually have about 3 layers of chilli in my lasagne, but it's up to you how many you include, and how much sauce you have!
- Top off the final layer with a final layer of pasta sheets, and some cheese sauce. Then sprinkle some Doritos over the top, and top with the remaining Mexicana Cheese.
- Bake in the oven at about 180C for 10-15 mins at most. Remember, everything is already well cooked, you're really just melting the cheese and browning the top.