- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pasta Recipes
Lasagna Roll Recipe with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Making the Red Pepper SauceClick thumbnail to view full-size
A Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe, Great for Kids!
We love lasagna in our house, but I don't like the mammoth proportions that most recipes require. Instead of freezing leftovers or eating lasagna for a week, we usually make lasagna roll-ups, which make 6-8 servings. There are still some leftovers, but we aren't left with an enormous quantity of food we'll never manage to eat!
Lasagna, like all pasta, lends itself wonderfully for sneaking in extra vegetables for the kids. Except in our house, we don't "sneak in" the veggies - the kids are active participants in cooking our meals. They help chop, stir, and prepare our dinners. It is a wonderful way to get kids to eat healthier meals! This recipe includes spinach, tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, onions, and garlic - adjust the ingredients to include things you would like to try!
Make the Lasagna Sauce
Red Pepper Sauce Ingredients:
- One 7 oz. jar of roasted red bell peppers.
- One 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled.
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper.*
*The crushed red pepper is optional, as the sauce is rather spicy with this ingredient. For children who prefer non-spicy food, simply omit the crushed red pepper.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until the sauce is smooth with no remaining chunks.
Cook the Noodles
Boil the Lasagna Noodles
Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove top. Add salt and olive oil to the water, and cook ten lasagna noodles according to package directions. Once the noodles are done, drain and rinse in cold water. Set the noodles aside, and proceed to make the cheese sauce.
Kids Love to CookClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make the Cheese Sauce
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- One 8 oz. package of mushrooms.
- Approximately 8 ounces of baby spinach leaves.
- 3 garlic cloves.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil.
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.*
*Omit the red pepper to reduce the spiciness of this dish.
- Have the kids cut the mushrooms into small pieces using a butter knife.
- Peel an onion and finely chop (I use a food processor for this step).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, and add the onions, garlic, baby spinach, and chopped mushrooms. Sauté until the onions are cooked through and the spinach is wilted (see pictures).
- Add the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts and combines with the other ingredients.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a bowl. Tear basil leaves into small pieces and stir the basil into the cheese mixture.
Finishing the Lasagna RollsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Assemble and Bake the Lasagna Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set out the lasagna noodles and place 1/4 cup cheese filling onto each noodle.
- Roll the noodles into rolls around the filling.
- Place the lasagna rolls into a 9"x13" casserole dish.
- Pour the red pepper sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the rolls.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes, or until heated through.
I always serve the lasagna rolls with spinach salad, since I usually buy more spinach leaves than are necessary for the recipe!