How to Make the Best Homemade Lasagna from Scratch
This is a simple, delicious lasagna recipe you can make from scratch. It was custom made for me from one of my best chef friends!
He knows I am not a great cook, and that I have a tendency to overcook or undercook my food a lot. So this recipe is easy to follow and everyone will love it!
The portion size is for a smaller amount of people, so if you want to make this for a big group, just double the recipe.
You can change the amount of the tomato's you add or put in less sugar, depending if you like sweeter meat sauce or not.
List of ingredients you will need
- 5 ounces or half a roll/package of Jimmy Deans maple sausage, regular is fine too
- 1/4 pound of lean ground beef - I use lean cause the sausage will be fatty enough
- 1/2 white/yellow onion, less if you don’t like onion
- 1 glove of garlic CRUSHED and minced
- 1 cup (small can) of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 - 1/2 can of Campbell’s tomato soup (yes soup, this is key)
- 2 tbsp of sugar (brown sugar is great)
- 2 teaspoons of basil and/or thyme spices (I use Penzey Spice Mural of Flavor)
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- Some parmesan cheese (as much as you like)
The serving size is for about 6 people
In a sauce pan, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until brown, be sure to stir often!
Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato soup and a little bit of water. Like 3 tablespoons.
Add in the basil or thyme spices or any all purpose spice you prefer to cook with, to taste.
Bring down the temperature and let it simmer, covered, for about 1-1/2 hours, stirring it about every 10-15min.
The sauce will be finished when it has about the same consistency as normal marinara. Take it off the heat.
Begin to boil the noodles till al dente or about 10 min.
Preheat your oven to 375.
Mix together the ricotta cheese, more spices and the egg. You can use the egg whites if you prefer. You just need enough to make the mixture hold together.
Grease a pan, a square 9x9 glass or metal pan will work, but you can use a regular size casserole dish instead.
To assemble, spread 1/4th of meat sauce in the bottom of the pan, then layer 4 of the noodles over the sauce.
Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
Then add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese with the parmesan cheese.
Repeat, till all the ingredients are used.
Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. As you can see I love cheese so I added extra on top!
Cover with foil. Remember to spray the underside of the foil so the cheese doesn't stick while cooking.
Bake in oven for 25 minutes, then remove the foil.
Cook an additional 25 - 30 minutes or until steaming hot.
Let it cool a bit then enjoy!