Late Night Snack Ideas
From the warm summer evenings on the porch chatting with friends and watching the children play, to those late night study cram sessions late-night snacks are a must have.
I remember pulling all nighters with my two younger sisters and come two o'clock I was starving. My sisters teased me about my two a.m. cereal snack, but it became a habit and a much healthier snack choice too.
It's easy and convenient to throw in a bag of pizza rolls, mozzarella sticks, or chicken nuggets in the oven, but lets face it, at two in the morning that is not necessarily the best option. Below are four easy to make and healthier late-night snack options.
Everything Bagel Sandwich:
Recipe number one is perfect for parties or even a quick and delicious lunch. The recipe serves one, but is easily made for a crowd as well. Once you try this sandwich you will never want to go back to real bread.
The seeds on the outer surface of the bagel combined with the flavors of the sandwich ingredients are enough to make you think you bought this sandwich at a local deli. The taste of this sandwich will keep you and your guests coming back for more.
- 1 Everything Bagel
- 1-2 Slices of your preferred cheese
- 2-4 Slices of your preferred meat
- 1-3 Squirts of Mustard, (Mayo works just as well)
- Few Leaves of lettuce, (Spinach if you prefer)
- A Tomato, (Onion, Peppers, or preferred veggies)
Prepping a Sandwich:
- Spread mustard or mayo on both sides of the bagel.
- Layer meat and cheese in any order.
- Add veggies. Enjoy!
|Serving size: 1 Bagel|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Chex Mix Squares:
Chex mix is a must have at every party I've ever been to. This next great late night snack is a sweet and salty twist to the ever popular chex mix.
Chex mix squares are a must have at any late night party or study session. Created at home in less than 20 minutes you have a chex mix tailored to you and your guests. Below is the recipe I used in my chex mix squares along with some other great variation options.
For those who may not like pretzels or Corn Chex here are some other great options:
- Mixed nuts or just peanuts
- Any other kind of Chex cereal
Chex Mix Squares Ingredients:
- 2 cups halved pretzel sticks
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
Instructions for Chex Mix Squares:
- In a large bowl combine cereal, pretzels, and chocolate chips.
- In a saucepan on low heat melt butter and peanut butter.
- Add marshmallows, cook and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour over pretzel mixture (Chocolate chips will melt).
- Stir until mixture is completely coated.
- Press into a greased 13X9 pan.
- Cool until firm.
Yields: 1 13X9in. pan
Are you one of those people who like late night pizzas? I am, but I hate the fatty, greasy, feeling you're left with after. So instead I like to make these simple and fast tortilla pizzas that are great for one or parties. The versatility of this pizza is perfect for when you are trying to please a crowd that likes different toppings.
Each pizza serves 8 slices and cooks in under 10 minutes. You can easily whip up enough for everybody.
Tortilla Pizzas Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese
- 4 Flour Tortillas
- Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Veggies, Pineapple
Instructions for Tortilla Pizzas:
- Spread sauce over tortillas.
- Add pepperoni.
- Sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- Add sausage and veggies.
- Top with Parmesan cheese (if desired).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
*Note: Adding too much sauce or cheese could prevent your tortillas from browning. Remember the crust is thin, so not as many ingredients are needed.
Double Chocolate No Bake Cookies:
Some of my favorite late night snacks are no bake cookies. You can never go wrong with cookies and ones that require no baking are perfect for midnight cookie cravings.
These cookies are easy to make, require no baking and this particular recipe contains no peanut butter and requires no heating at all! Perfect for those late night sweet treat cravings.
Ingredients for No Bake Cookies:
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 1 box White Chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Tbs. Water
- 2 cups Oats
- 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
Instructions for No Bake Cookies:
- Soften butter so it can easily be stirred with a wooden spoon (20 mins or slight melt in microwave on very low heat).
- Add sugar. Beat or stir until completely combined.
- Stir in vanilla, water, and pudding mix.
- Add in oats. Mix until completely combined.
- Form into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
- Chill until set (Roughly 30 mins).
Reasons for Late Night Snacking:
There are many reasons why we get food cravings in the middle of the night.
- Dehydration: Instead of reaching for that salty snack or caffeinated soda try drinking water first. Keeping hydrated and having a bottle of water with you late into the evening can help you kick your midnight cravings.
- Boredom: I know many people who eat when they are bored, me included. When you feel yourself getting bored head to bed rather than trying to find something to eat.
- Low salt or sugar levels: Maintaining these levels throughout the day can help combat late night hunger pains. Low levels of salt and sugar could also mean that you are lacking in other minerals, so be sure to monitor when you get cravings and what you are craving so you know exactly how to proceed.
- Lack of protein: Not eating enough protein throughout the day can cause some people to feel hungry later. Try eating protein throughout the day or finding a protein rich snack to help curb those hungry feelings.
These are just a few simple and slightly healthier late night snack ideas. Any snacking after 8 p.m. is generally unhealthy, but let's face it if you're a night owl, late night eating is going to happen. I like to have a variety of late night snacks available at my disposal so I can try and combat throwing greasy and high fatty foods in the oven for a quick snack (which I always regret doing the next morning).
Do you have a favorite late night snack? Feel free to leave them in the comment section below. I would love to hear them!
What late night snack idea is your favorite?
© 2012 Cholee Clay