- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Easy Appetizer Bread Recipes: How To Make Flatbread Lavash Appetizer Pizzas
Flat Bread Pizza Recipe
I made this recipe up after I had gone out to dinner one night and had the best appetizer ever! It was a sort of flat bread topped with mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese. When I asked the servers at the restaurant, they were not sure what the bottom of the appetizer was - it seemed like a kind of flat bread, but then it seemed like a kind of tortilla as well.
Well, curiosity got the better of me so I had to begin experimenting. I tried several different tortillas; I tried several different flat breads but none of them seemed to give the exact texture. Then just by chance, I was in Trader Joe's and on the bread rack, I spied something I thought was just what I needed! It was called Lavash Bread. To be honest, the only place I've ever found it is at Trader Joe's - and here is the recipe I made up once I finally found it.
This is rather like a flat bread pizza and is so good sometimes we end up eating this instead of dinner rather than as an appetizer!
- 1 package of Lavash bread (Trader Joe's or other)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, torn into small bits
- Fresh Parmesan cheese shredded
- Chopped mushrooms
- Artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Kalamata olives (cut in half or whole)
- Mozzarella or other Italian cheese
- Cilantro lime sandwich spread from deli (I got mine at Safeway)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover large jelly roll pan or baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable spray - or just spray sheet with cooking spray.
- You can either cut the Lavash bread to fit the tray and make cuts most of the way through the bread, or cut them into the squares ahead of time and place on the baking sheet in 1 layer. I make a cut almost all the way through the larger pieces of Lavash bread and then just break apart when done - it keeps the sides closer together when I'm adding ingredients and easily separates after baking.
- Lightly spray Lavash bread with olive oil spray.
- Place a few dollops of cilantro lime sandwich spread (or pesto or sun-dried tomato) on the Lavash bread and smear as a thin film over all the bread - I basically only used a few tablespoons for the whole tray - you just want a bit of flavor.
- Sprinkle on the feta cheese over all the bread.
- Sprinkle on the spinach and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle on the artichoke hearts and olives.
- Top all with a light dusting of cheese.
- Place in oven on middle rack and cook for 15 minutes - check - bake a few minutes longer if necessary - just until Lavash bread is starting to crisp up and the cheese is melting.
- Remove - let sit on rack for 5 minutes and then cut into slices.
- If you can't find Lavash bread, other flat breads do work
- Tortillas work - just cut to fit the pan
- Substitute goat cheese for the feta cheese
- Substitute any type of mushrooms - I use regular mushrooms but all are delicious
- Use marinated artichoke hearts or frozen, thawed
- Substitute regular olives for the kalamatas
- Substitute cheddar or white cheddar cheese
- Add fresh flaked salmon
- Anything you can make into a pizza you can do this Lavash bread with - it is basically a flat bread pizza.
Summing It Up
This is a super easy, super quick appetizer recipe but it is a wonderful flat bread pizza, too! I have taken this to dinner parties as the appetizer or even to BBQ's and it lasts very well. It gets crispier the longer it is on the plate so becomes a very nice finger food if you cut it into small enough portions.
Try some of the substitutions too - I especially love the one I make with salmon!
How to Use Lavash To Make Breakfast Sandwich
- Flatbread - Deliciously Easy
I swear on all that's holy I dream about food. All the time. I can't tell the number of times I've dreamed about a dish and woke up the next day and made it. This is one of those. I had been thinking...
- Crisp Rosemary Flatbread... Quick, Easy And Oh So Go...
With the holidays here ... quick and easy to make and good and tasty snacking foods are always a treat to discover. This crisp rosemary flatbread is a recipe you will find yourself using over and over again...
- How To Make Flat Bread From Scratch
Are you wondering how to make flat bread from scratch? Flat bread is one of the easiest types of bread to make. There are different kinds available as well. You can expect to whip up a couple or more in...
- Easy Chinese Flat Bread Recipe - Just Mix and Fry!
Do you want to know how to make some delicious Chinese flat bread? This recipe is extremely easy and quick to prepare. In China we like to eat this bread with just about anything. 20 grams of diced green...