Making a homemade soup can not get any easier than this recipe. Adding aromatics like sautéed onions and garlic enhance the flavor of this soup and pureeing it in a blender creates its creamy texture.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 leeks cleaned, dark green parts removed and sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh dill loosely packed
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and garlic, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add sliced leeks, diced potatoes, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add fresh dill and purée the soup with an immersion blender until very smooth. You can use a food processor or a blender. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into bowls, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprig of fresh dill.