Leftover BBQ Pulled Pork - 15 Ways to Use It!
As anyone who loves to BBQ knows, you can rarely finish that BBQ pulled pork butt in one sitting!
Now, BBQ reheats very well (reheat it slowly in the oven, covered, with a little sauce for moisture) but there may be times, perhaps after a particularly gluttonous BBQ feast(!) that you just want to eat something a little bit different as leftovers later that week.
Pulled pork freezes very well. Mix with a little sauce and then pack in an airtight container or zip-lock bag or whatever – and you’ve got a future BBQ meal at the ready, without having to worry about dealing with leftovers all week!
Here then, are a few tried and tested ideas for making the most of leftover BBQ pork.
Leftover Pulled Pork Works Great in/as:
- Quesadillas – slide a little Monterey jack and a little pulled pork into a tortilla, fold it over and heat it in a frying pan without oil, turning once, until crisped on both sides and the cheese has melted.
- Chili – use the pork alone or in combination with other meats in your favorite chili recipe- a classic!
- As a homemade pizza topping, or on nachos, or in a calzone
- BBQ pork and black bean burritos, or with scrambled eggs and salsa in a breakfast burrrito
- BBQ Hash – griddle up a few cubed potatoes, onions, sweet peppers, a few herbs and spices and salt and pepper and add a little BBQ for a different twist on good old fashioned hashed meat n’ potatoes. Serve with fried eggs, preferably
- A simple soft taco filling – with pickled onions, lettuce, guacamole and grated cheese
- Pulled pork baked beans, or add some chopped pork to some refried beans
- Pulled pork baked potato skins
- Use it in a salad of tart greens (spinach) in vinaigrette like you might use bacon or lardons
- Use as a filling for wontons (*surprising, but very tasty!)
- Make a Brunswick stew
BBQ pork tastes great when added to any number of dishes, but these dishes, in my experience, will always still taste like BBQ (not that that is a bad thing).
And if all else fails, just grab a couple of slices of wonder bread, a little coleslaw, some good BBQ sauce and a heaping portion of BBQ, and go to town the way they’re meant to be eaten!
These are some of the leftover built dishes I’ve either had or made over the years – but surely there are more!?! Please add comments below describing any great ways you use up leftover BBQ pork.
- How to BBQ a better burger. Easy steps to hamburger ...
Make better hamburgers. A few easy tips and tricks to improving your skills as a burger-master! Whatever recipe you like, you can improve the taste of your BBQ.
- Low and slow smoky pulled pork BBQ! Make a great bac...
Make fantastic BBQ pulled pork in your home cue. Easy tips and tricks to a better backyard barbecue and pulled pork with BARK!
- How to make great BBQ ribs. Easy tips and tricks for...
6 easy tips and tricks to making great BBQ ribs every time! Easy things that you can do to improve the taste and consistency of your cue. It's Barbecue season again - Get Smoking!
- How to Build a Brick BBQ Smoker
How to build a large brick BBQ smoker for about $200. An explanation, with photos and diagrams.