- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Brunch Recipes: A Quick Sunday Brunch with Leftover Rice
Easy-to-cook Sunday Indian brunch using leftover rice
It's one of those perfect leftover rice recipes--quick, easy-to-cook, and with the least elaborate ingredients--for a lazy Sunday brunch. All you need is some leftover steamed rice, a little gram four, and some basic Indian spices, and you are ready to go!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: Serves 2 people
- Cooked rice (leftover steamed rice): 4 cups
- Gram flour (besan): 4 Tbs
- Oil (I prefer mustard oil for its peculiar pungency): 3 Tbs
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/4 Tsp
- Asafoetida: a pinch
- Coriander powder: 2 Tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/2 Tsp
- Dried raw mango powder (amchoor): 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion: 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- To prepare this quick brunch we begin with heating oil in a wok or deep pan.
- As soon as you see the first sign of smoke, add mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, reduce the flame and quickly add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the remaining spices and salt, and stir for 20 sec. Once you get the aroma of the spices, add the leftover rice and mix well.
- Finally, add besan (gram flour) and mix thoroughly. Cover and keep on low heat for two minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove from the stove, garnish with green coriander or mint leaves. Serve hot with masala curd (spiced curd).