Lemon Breadcrumb Chicken Bake
This is a recipe I adapted from "365 Ways to Cook Chicken," by Cheryl Sedaker. My wife absolutely loves anything lemon-flavored, so one day when we didn't have any ideas for dinner I improvised this dish together, mostly because I was too lazy too dig out the cookbook. I'm a fan of oven-fried chicken, so when I remembered we still had some panko breadcrumbs in our cupboard that we'd never used I decided to see if I could make something tasty using them.
The lemon slices underneath the chicken really infuse their flavor into the chicken, while at the same time tenderizing the meat. I didn't feel like cleaning up a bunch of dishes, so I decided to try to make this a one-dish meal.
To save time, I use pre-sliced onions, peppers and mushrooms. The vegetables are sliced fresh daily at my local grocery store, so I don't lose much quality by buying pre-sliced instead of slicing them myself. I used Trader Joe's Panko Breadcrumbs, but any kind of bread crumbs would work fine.
- 1 1/2 Cup Brown or White Rice
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, cut into small squares
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 2 Cups Sliced Crimini Mushrooms, about 6-8 whole mushrooms
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders
- 1/2 Teaspon Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon Basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg, large
- 2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Baby Lemons, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the rice and water in a 9"x13" glass pan. Add the salt and lemon extract. Spread the butter squares evenly around the pan.
- Slice the ends off each baby lemon and discard. Slice each lemon into thin slices, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Spread the slices evenly around the pan.
- Spread the peppers and mushrooms around the pan.
- In a small bowl or container, combine the breadcrumbs, thyme, lemon pepper, basil leaves, and paprika. Toss to ensure an even distribution of herbs.
- In a separate container, combine the egg and lemon juice. Beat with a fork or a whisk until relatively even.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture before rolling it in the breadcrumb mixture. Work each piece around in the breadcrumbs to ensure a thorough coating.
- After coating, arrange chicken in a single layer in the pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
|Serving size: 501g|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 10 g|
|Carbohydrates 83 g||28%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 45 g||90%|
|Cholesterol 149 mg||50%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|