- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Lemon Cream Pie with Shortbread Crust Recipe
Most people I know who like lemon pies, like Lemon Meringue pies. I can’t stand the meringue; it always taste like Styrofoam to me and many were the times when I passed on a lemon pie simply because of the topping. Then, one day I happened to notice a Lemon Cream Pie. It was basically a Lemon Meringue with whipped cream substituting for the meringue and I absolutely devoured it; it was fantastic! Years later my father found a recipe for lemon bars with shortbread and asked me to make them, and they were quite good. Then, a light went off in my head: I could mix the two desserts together and make a Lemon Cream Pie with a Shortbread Crust. This pie is simple and quick to make. It’s great for a dessert on a spring holiday or virtually anytime you like.
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 stick cold butter
4 Egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. orange zest
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Mix flour, sugar and butter until crumbly (with cold butter you can knead it with your hands or use a food processor or standing mixer on low).
2. Press dough into a 9-inch pie pan.
3. Blind Bake, at 350 degree F, the shortbread crust in pan for 13 minutes.
4. Whisk eggs, juice, flour, sugar, powder and zest together.
5. Pour lemon mixture into hot pie crust.
6. Bake for another 15--17 minutes, or until set when shaken.
7. Remove pie from oven and let cool completely.
8. Using an egg beater or standing mixer, whip together heavy cream, white sugar and vanilla extract until thick, fluffy and has stiff peaks.
9. Spread whipping cream on top of pie. *
10. Chill pie before cutting and serving.
*NOTE: Spreading the whipped cream on the pie can be frustrating since it is soft custard. One way is to put the whipped cream in the center of the pie and gently spread it outwards toward the edges. Another way is a bit more “pastry chef” style: scoop the whipped cream into a large zip-lock plastic bag. Cut the end off of one of the bottom edges. Pipe the cream over pie in little dollops like a pastry icing bag.
Other Recipes by Edgar Arkham
- How To Make A Sour Cream Cheesecake
Here is a quick and easy sour cream cheesecake recipe. Enjoy!
- Chocolate Cheesecake With Chocolate Graham Cracker C...
This is my recipe for a chocolate cheesecake. Enjoy!
- Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Here is a recipe for a sweet potato pie. enjoy!
- Baked Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
Here is a recipe for a baked peanut butter pie, made in a similar fashion as a cheesecake or pumpkin pie Enjoy!
- Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Here is a great recipe for a tasty sour cream pumpkin pie. Enjoy!
- Apple Cranberry Pie Recipe
Here's a recipe for apple cranberry pie. Enjoy!
- Rhubarb Pie with Strawberries and Homemade Whipping ...
I didn't like rhubarb pie until I had it with another fruit added. This is the way I make it with strawberries. Thought I would share it and my homemade whipped cream. Enjoy.