- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
How to make Kerala style Lemon Pickle ( Naranga Achar) : Pickle recipe
Lemon Pickle is one of the most favorite pickles of south India. Lemon Pickle is easy to make and can be kept for years. Lemon pickle is at its best, as it becomes old. Pickling is an ancient food- preservation technique. In Kerala, we name it as “Naranga Achar”, where Naranga means Lemon and Achar means pickle. Usually in Kerala, during supper, most of us can go with Rice soup (named Kanji, here in Kerala), lemon pickle and Pappad. Lemon Pickle is usually given to us during times of high fever, as it tastes better then, as our tongue tastes bitter during those high temperatures. Here in I’m gone to explain the steps to prepare Kerala Lemon Pickle.
- 10-15 in number Lemon, Need to steam the same for 5-10 minutes using a steamer
- One Inch Ginger, Remove the skin, Chop and keep aside
- 2 pods Garlic, Remove the skin and keep aside
- 10 Green Chilly or 2 Table Spoon Chilly Powder, If Green Chilly , cut each along lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 tablespoon Gingelly Oil, Usually Gingelly Oil is used for the preparation of most of the traditional pickles in kerala
- 3/4 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoitida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek powder
- 3 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2-3 stem Curry Leaves
- 2 tablespoon Salt
Clicks through preparation of Lemon PickleClick thumbnail to view full-size
Preparations & Cooking
- Wash and clean Lemon and keep in a steamer, and once the steam comes, keep it for 5-10 minutes and off the steamer.
- Allow lemon to cool; by that time, chop the Ginger and keep aside. Remove the skin of Garlic and keep aside.
- If you need green colored pickle - go for Green Chillies, cut along the length way. Or else you can go for Chilly powder if you need Red colored Pickle
- Now get the cooled pickle, cut into 4 and add salt to it and keep aside. Add the turmeric powder on top.
- Heat the Frying Pan, add Gingelly Oil to the same and allow it to heat
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- To the same add Curry Leaves
- Now add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chilly/ Chilly Powder.
- Let it become brown
- Later add the Lemon to it and add the Fenugreek and Asafoitida powder to the same ; allow the same to boil
- Towards the end, add vinegar and allow it to boil once, now off the fire ; LEMON PICKLE IS READY!!!
- Once cooled, keep it airtight glass Jar. The real taste, comes as it grows older.
Other recipes of Kerala
- How to make Puttu : Kerala Breakfast Recipe
Puttu is one of the favorite recipes of Kerala. It is the favorite breakfast for us. Puttu is an easy made food and doesn’t require much work to be done. The usual combination is Puttu and Kadala (Brown Chickpea) Curry or Puttu, Payar (green gram cur
- How to make Palappam - traditional breakfast of Kera...
Palappam is the traditional breakfast of Kerala. It is one of the important dishes during the functions of traditional Suriyani Christians. It is made of ‘Pachari’ white rice. It is sometimes known as vellayappam. It is usually served along with coco
- Kerala Style Meat Cutlet recipe
Nowadays, Kerala people are more attracted to fried items and most of us prefer these, during our evening tea time. Cutlet is one among the favorite choices during evening time. In Christian wedding and Betrothal, cutlet is an inevitable presence. Ac
- Kerala Style Mango Pickle (Manga Achar) : Pickle Rec...
Kerala Mango Pickle or Manga Achar is one of the favorite and common pickle, mostly used daily in kerala. Mango Pickle is easier to prepare . It is so tastier, that we could try it with any food items
- Unniyappam : Kerala's popular snack recipe
Unniyappam is the popular snack of kerala. Unniyappam is a fluffy snack made out of rice, banana, jaggery, coconut bites and ghee. You may need Unniyappa chatti (vessel) to prepare the unniyappam.
- Yummy Marble Cake - Recipe from scratch
This is one of my favorite marble cake recipe. This is what I usually make during Christmas season. It's too tasty and my friends love tasting it.
- Chocolate cake recipe with frosting
Chocolate cake with frosting is the experimentation , I started with the simple recipe of black forest and later gave it a chocolate frosting and then experimented with icing ;)
- Homemade Grape Wine Recipe from Kerala
Wine is a symbol of celebration. At home, making wine, acknowledges us with the coming of Christmas. Grape wine is our specialty and my father is expert in making the same. Our wine is famous among our neighbors, relatives and friends. we don't add a
- Snake Gourd in Chilli Style Recipe : Padavalanga in ...
Let me share a new recipe using snake gourd. Snake gourd is otherwise known as padavalanga in Malayalam. This is an experimented dish made out of snake gourd, the recipe seen in a magazine, my version
© 2012 DEEPA JOHN