- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 35 min
- Yields: 1 cake
Do you like plain or flavored pound cakes?
There are so many flavors of pound cake available these days, that you sometimes wonder, "Which one are the best?"
Most of the time I see pound cakes, they are either in the bakery section of the grocery store or in the display windows at coffee houses. Many of these types, and flavors, of pound cake tend to be on the exotic taste side of the aisle: there are pumpkin spice ones, french apple ones, sour cream ones, chocolate ones and even espresso pound cakes.
With all the wild flavors of pound cake around, there is one that is almost as simple, and tasty, as a plain pound cake: Lemon.
Lemon pound cakes are simple and one of the most delicious pound cake flavors out there. The light and tangy flavor of lemon adds a bright and refreshing zing to the usually dense pound cake.
This simple lemon pound cake recipe can easily be made within just little over an hour and a half.
It can last up to a week if you keep it wrapped and stored in the refrigerator.
1 cup (8 ounces) of unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2 cups (16 ounces) of all-purpose flour
1 cup (8 ounces) of white sugar
5 whole eggs
½ teaspoon (tsp.) of pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons (tbs,) of lemon juice, (which is 2 ounces)
¼ teaspoon (tsp.) of salt
1 teaspoon (tsp.) of double acting baking powder
The zest of one lemon, (about 1 teaspoon), optional (if you are using a fresh lemon and squeezing the juice from it)
--5 x 9 loaf pan
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk / sift together the 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.) of salt, 1 teaspoon (tsp.) of baking powder, and the two cups of all-purpose flour.
3. In the standard standing mixer, combine the cup (8 ounces) of unsalted butter and the one cup (8 ounces) of white sugar.
4. Turn on the speed of the standing mixer to medium (level 2-3 on the machine) and blend the sugar and butter together until they are mixed and are light and fluffy.
5. Add the pure vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and blend it in.
6. Add the 5 whole eggs, one at a time, to the butter, mixing well before adding the next egg.
7. Add the 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) of lemon juice. (And the zest if you are using it.)
8. Scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl, and blend again. (The butter and sugar can stick to the sides of the bowl.)
9. Add the flour in three parts, making sure that the flour is well incorporated before adding the next part.
10. Scrap down the bowl and blend the batter again.
11. Line the 9 x 5 loaf pan with the parchment paper.
12. Pour the lemon pound cake batter into the parchment lined loaf pan.
13. Bake in the pre-heated oven for one hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) -- check on it at one hour -- until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
14. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely before cutting and serving.