Lemon Sour Cream Cheesecake Recipe
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 5 min
- Yields: 6-8 slices
Do you like plain cheesecakes or specialty ones?
Over the holidays I received a gift card for The Cheesecake Factory. I love cheesecake and normally just make my own, but it is nice to be able to have a specialty cheesecake without having to bake it.
The Cheesecake Factory has an enormous selection of cheesecakes available to purchase; either as slices or full cakes (either large or small); the different types of cakes available range from common cheesecakes (New York style) to extravagant ones (Lemoncello).
I had enough on the gift card to get three different slices of cheesecake: a Chocolate one, a Red Velvet one, and a Pumpkin Pecan one.
Needless to say, they were all quite good and it just made me want more cheesecake.
But, since I enjoy making my own cheesecakes, I decided to look at what I had available in the pantry and the fridge on make one with; I had lemon juice and sour cream.
I thought that two great cheesecake flavors (lemon and sour cream) would taste great together.
I use just bottled lemon juice for this recipe, but if you wish to zest and juice fresh lemons, that is even better.
This cake has a bright and refreshing taste that is great for an occasion or just about any time you have a sweet tooth.
16 ounces of graham crackers (2 cups / 36 squares / 1 package)
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1 teaspoon of lemon zest (or lemon juice)
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of unsalted butter
24 ounces (3 cups) of cream cheese
8 ounces (1 cup) of plain sour cream
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of lemon zest, optional
8 ounces (1 cup) of white sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 ounces (4 tablespoons) of All-purpose Flour
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
-1 Cookie sheet
-1 9-inch springform pan
-1 standard food processor
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 Degrees F.
2. Place the springform pan on a cookie sheet (this with help if the pan leaks at all).
3. Heat the unsalted butter in the microwave, on high, until it is completely melted (about 30 seconds).
4. Put the full package of graham crackers in the food processor. (see the picture for an example of a "full package" of graham crackers)
5. Pulse the graham crackers until they are completely crushed.
6. Add the melted butter, tablespoon of sugar and the zest of lemon (if using it) to the food processor bowl.
7. Pulse until all ingredients are incorporated (about 30 seconds).
8. Scoop out the graham cracker mixture from the food processor bowl into the springform pan.
9. Press the crust mixture evenly into the springform pan using your hand or a flat-bottomed cup.
10. In the same food processor, mix the 24 ounces of cream cheese and 8 ounces of sour cream until they are blended smooth.
11. Add the 4 ounces of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and mix the ingredients again until they are well incorporated.
12. Add the 2 whole eggs and the 1 egg yolk to the mixture and blend until mixed well.
13. Add the 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and the 1 cup of white sugar and blend until smooth.
14. Pour the cheesecake batter into the graham cracker crust lined pan
15. Bake the cake for about 40 to 45 minutes. until center is set; it will jiggle a little when shaken.
16. Let it cool completely before chilling in the refrigerator for at least 12 hour (24 hour is best) before serving.