Easy Meat & Cheese Lasagna
This is a family recipe that has been handed down to me. I have really struggled with whether or not to share this very special recipe to me. I have really hesitated about putting this out for the public but, I figure life is too short not to share this and it's a really great tasting lasagna.This is a family recipe that goes all the way back to a great aunt that had a lot of responsibility in cooking and cleaning for her family. Money was very tight back then. A lot of times animals were grown on the farm and then killed for their meat. Times were also just different in that women would make everything from scratch.
The sauce in this recipe is made from various spices and simmers to perfection and smells delicious and is made from scratch. It smells so delicious when it's cooking. When you learn how to make this sauce, and make it for the first time, you will want to make this sauce all the time for your Italian meals. As you will be able to tell, the sauce as it is cooking, smells up the entire house and creates a very nice aroma. I like to try to make the sauce the day before, because it really does taste better. You can invite a friend and you can make some spaghetti that can be served a for a later.
In fact, you can make this sauce ahead of time and put it in the freezer until you are ready to use it or make it a few days ahead of time if possible. It gives the flavors of the spices more time to blend which in turn, absolutely make this sauce. This meat sauce is the best that I have ever put in my mouth.
This in my opinion, this is one of the most tasty lasagna recipes I have ever tried. This may be more trouble than you want to go to but, trust me it is well worth the effort. In fact, when I eat lasagna at a restaurant, I am usually disappointed because I have such a bias for this particular recipe. It is very hard to try a different sauce, when you have the best of something. This is my favorite lasagna. My mom will fix this for our birthday dinner with our family. To me there is just no other way to make lasagna. Plus, knowing that mom made it makes it even better.
My favorite memories of this recipe would have to be that my mom would make this as our birthday meal. Our grandparents, aunt and uncle and cousins would come over and my mom would make this dreamy lasagna. She would have lots of sweet tea, big crusty garlic bread and a huge salad with homemade ranch dressing. My family would gather around our table and it would be just great to have everyone together. I hope by sharing this family recipe with you that you can create some family traditions of your own. Family is the most important thing that we have. Looking back I cherish those memories even more because, now, I have lost 2 grandfathers and one grandmother. So, you learn to cherish those moments when you can get together.
Some of the steps can be done a day before you serve your lasagna but, I will explain those steps as we go.
I hope you enjoy this very well kept family secret! I hope that you love this recipe as much as my my I family and I do and becomes a family tradition for your family! My mom passed it on to me
I hope that you will feel free to share your ideas and recipes related to lasagna in the comments capsule which is located at the bottom of this page family really likes.
- Easy Feta Chicken Bake
This Feta Chicken is really a light meal that you could serve to your girlfriends in the summertime. This chicken will be so tender, you can cut it with a fork. The feta cheese adds a nice sharpness to the chicken. I do hope that you will try this gr
- South of the Border Chicken Soup
With all the rainy weather that we have had lately a hearty soup is just what the doctor ordered. The name of the recipe says it all. This soup will satisfy your south of the border craving.
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
I hate to repeat myself but, this quick and easy to make chicken casserole can be mixed up rather quickly and then the key is to let the casserole flavors blend.
- Thanksgiving Dinner For A Large Family
This article describes a large Thanksgiving dinner including Turkey, dressing, rolls and macaroni. Polls, maps,Pictures, you tube clips and commentary are ALS listed in this blog along with other facts and information.
- Growing Peppers and Tomatoes
This article focuses on how to grow Tomatoes and peppers. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub. Tomatoes and peppers can be seeded inside and then transferred to the garden.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or you can use 2 lbs of ground beef and leave out the pork
- 1/2 lb pork
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can (1lb 12 oz) tomatoes, chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 8 oz package lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 3/4lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/2lb cottage cheese, large curd
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Cook ground beef and pork, onion and garlic in a heavy dutch oven until the meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain excess fat. Add tomatoes and break up with a fork. Stir in tomato sauce, parsley flakes, sugar, salt and basil. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the mixture is thick as good spaghetti sauce. Cook 8oz of lasagna noodles and drain. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- You can always cook the sauce ahead of time and freeze it then thaw when you are ready to make the lasagna. Another alternative is to make your sauce the day before so that the flavors can blend. The sauce is tastier the longer it sits.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese and mix the large curd cottage cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon parsley flakes, 1/2 salt and 1 teaspoon oregano.
- Layer 1/2 of each: Noodles, sauce, mozzarella and cottage cheese mixture in a large lasagna pan. Repeat the above until the pan is full. Reserve enough sauce for a thin layer on top. 1/2 cup parmesan cheese Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered 45-55 minutes or until cheese is bubbly in the center. Let stand for 15 minutes after removing from the oven. To serve, cut into squares. Serve warm. This makes 8-10 large servings. Serve with garlic bread.
Origination of Lasagna
Vote On Leslie's Lasagna
Which is the best?
Which is your favorite Italian dish?
Simple Baked Lasagna
Italian Lasagna Recipe
Lasagna Any Way You Like
Lasagna is more than sauce and cheese. It's also meat. Some people put beef, some sausage and some people use both meats.
Lasagna is very filling and makes a great meal. It is easy to feed an entire family and then some with as much as this lasagna makes. Serve with a salad and bread and this meal is complete.
© 2012 Buster Johnson