- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
How to make Light and Fluffy Homemade Pancakes: Basic Breakfast Recipes
- 1 cup Buttermilk (or regular milk), Cold
- 1 Egg, separated (yolk & white)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract, liquid
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Flour
- Preheat skillet to 350 degrees. (A regular non-stick frying pan is fine; over medium heat)
- In a medium mixing bowl, Mix your dry ingredients (baking powder, soda, & flour)
- In a second bowl, separate egg whites (using the shells to hold in the yolk and collect the white--You can also use an egg separator). Set whites in bowl aside. Put the egg yolk in a third small bowl, and move on to next step.
- Mix your wet ingredients (milk & vanilla) into the egg yolk.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients by pouring your wet ingredients into the dry. (Do not mix in whites yet.)
- Whip the egg whites you set aside, until frothy; then fold them into the batter. Mix thoroughly, in a folding motion, to eliminate any large lumps. This will also keep the mixture light and airy.
- Spray a light layer of cooking spray over your preheated skillet or frying pan
- Slowly pour the batter into little mounds on the skillet, letting it spread and even out on its own, until your desired pancake size is reached. (I let mine spread till about 6 inches in width)
- While cooking, the pancakes will start to form airy bubbles on top; you should only flip them once; so after about 3/4 of the bubbles on top have popped, check the bottoms and they should be perfectly browned. Flip them over, and cook the other side until equally browned. (Don't check them too early, otherwise you could compromise the form of the pancake)
- *This is just a basic pancake recipe, but if desired, you can absolutely add chocolate chips, blueberry's, or whatever else you'd like during the final mixing process.*
Makes perfect fluffy pancakes every time!
*Try with my recipe for sauteed breakfast potatoes for a completely satisfying breakfast meal*
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 25 min
Yields: Makes app eight 6 inch pancakes