- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
South Indian Lime Pickle Recipe
Lime pickle:Lime pickle is one of the very popular pickle in India. It comes next only to mango pickle in popularity. Personally I like lime pickle more than mango pickle. The specialty of Indian pickle is that they don’t spoil and can be used even months and years after they have been made provided they are kept in tight jars so there is no fungus growth. Lime pickle is found in nearly every Indian home. It is easy and cheap to make and makes food delicious. It can be made sweet or sour as your taste buds desire.
Makes about 250 grams or ¼ kg.
1. Lemons: 12 halved and deseeded.
2. Salt: 115 grams or about 4 Oz.
3. Red chili powder : 70 grams / 2 ½ Oz
4. Mustard powder : 25 grams / 1 Oz
5. Ground fenugreek : 25 grams / 1 Oz
6. Mustard oil: 300ml /10 fl oz.
7. Turmeric: 1 Tsp grounded
8. Yellow mustard seeds : 15 grams/ ½ oz
9. Asafoetida : ½ Tsp
1. Take a sterilized jar with tight lid.
2. Now cut each half of the lemon in to 4 equal parts.
3. Put them in the jar and sprinkle salt over them.
4. Cover with airtight lid and leave them in a warm place/sun for about 2 weeks.
5. By this time the lemon would have turned to brown colour from yellow.
6. Now mix chili powder, mustard powder, fenugreek and turmeric powder together in a small bowl.
7. Now add this powder to the jar of lemon
8. Mix it well with the lemons.
9. Cover lid and leave it in sun for 2 days.
10. Heat the mustard oil in a heavy base frying pan.
11. Add asafetida and mustard seeds in to the oil.
12. Put it on high heat
13. Heat till oil is very hot and is about to smoke.
14. Take the lemons from jar to a glass bowl and pour hot oil on to lemons.
15. Mix well.
16. Cover it and leave it to cool.
17. When cool put it in a sterilized jar with tight lid and keep it in a sunny place for a week.
18. Lemon pickle is ready serving it as taste additive to make food tastier.
19. Can be eaten with any food.
More food hubs by me
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Prawn and Pineapple Tikka
Prawn and Pineapple Tikka is one of very tasty dish. Pineapple gives this dish a definitely tangy taste while prawns are hot and spicy. This dish is not only healthy as it not only has prawns but also combine meat with fruit, but is also very yummy a
- Fish Tikka
Fish tikka is one of the authentic Indian cooking. This dish is definitely Punjabi and since there is no sea near Punjab so only fresh water fish is used in this dish. Fish Tikka is famous now in all over India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and in parts of wo
- Prawns In Coconut Milk
Sea food is though not something we guys from New Delhi are used to but this is very popular in western coastal regions of India especially in state of Maharashtra. Being coastal area Prawn and coconut are in abundant supply there. One of very tasty
- Kashmiri Chicken
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it
- Bombay Potaoes
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and man
- Chicken Korma
Chicken Korma is a very tasty dish from South of India and since it is from South India so it is full of calories. If you are not watching your weight then you should try this dish. Very tasty and this dish is little dry in consistency as compared to
- Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a