Liver and Bacon Casserole Recipe the Kids Will Love
I learned this recipe for liver and bacon casserole years ago, and it really is a most wonderful dish - easy to prepare - cheap to buy the ingredients, and the kids love it.
It's a great way to get them to eat liver, if they are a bit fussy.
Being a very cheap family meal means that if you are living on a budget, liver and bacon casserole could easily become a staple, knowing that your kids are getting plenty of iron and vitamins A and C, as well as protein and zinc.
What you'll need is:
- 1lb liver - lamb is tender, but beef or pig's liver have more flavor
- 4oz bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- a little bit of oil for frying
- some seasoned flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- ½ pint stock - ham stock is best
How to cook liver and bacon casserole
- Fry the onion and bacon together in the oil for a few minutes to soften, then put in casserole dish.
- Chop the liver into bite-sized pieces, and lightly coat in the seasoned flour.
- Fry the liver for a few minutes until it has changed color, then remove to casserole to join the onions and bacon.
You can add a little more flour at this stage if you like, but it's not strictly necessary. Gently cook the flour in the oil.
- Mix your stock with the remaining oil in the saucepan. This will have thickened a little with the flour to coated the liver in.
- Bring up to boil, then add the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Add the Worcester sauce.
- Mix well, then pour the mixture over the liver, onions and bacon in the casserole dish.
- Put the lid on.
- Place in a hot oven - 180C for 45 minutes.
Liver and bacon casserole is delicious served with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.