Healthy, Fruity and Nutty Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
A Make-Ahead, Crowd-Pleasing Chicken Salad
This fruity, nutty curried chicken salad has a lot of ingredients, but every single one helps make it so yummy.
It takes best if you make it the day before you plan to serve it and let the flavors develop and meld in the refrigerator overnight.
I serve this chicken salad over a bed of lettuce or in a regular or whole wheat pita. Leftovers I eat straight from the bowl with a spoon.
These are rough amounts, so feel free to take liberties to suit this chicken salad to your own taste.
Fruit, Nutty, Curried Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- juice from half a lemon
- 3 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans or almonds or a mix, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2-3 scallions, finely sliced
- 12-18 red grapes, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp. dried currants
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Step-by-Step Instructions For Making Chicken Salad
- Poach the chicken breasts. I prefer to do this in water with several bay leaves, 5-8 pepper corns and salt, though you can also poach the chicken in chicken broth.
- When the chicken has cooled, cut it into small cubes and place them in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, mayonnaise and plain nonfat yogurt to the chicken and stir. Check to see if the consistency is how you like it. Add more mayo and yogurt if it is not creamy enough.
- Add the curry powder and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Stir in the celery, grapes, currants, scallions and nuts.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight. This also can be made and served the same day.