- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Low Fat Soft Taco Recipe with Ground Turkey Meat
If you're a fan of soft tacos but are trying to be a little more healthy with your cooking and eating, these delicious low fat soft tacos made with ground turkey are an excellent alternative to the traditional greasy beef tacos that seem to always leave you with regrets...
For an even lighter low carb option, skip the tortillas and use lettuce wraps for a fresh and super healthy ground turkey soft taco!
- 1-2 tsp olive oil*
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper (green, yellow, orange, or red), finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup corn, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 8oz can petite chopped tomatoes (do not drain)
- 16 tortillas (corn, flour, or whole wheat)
- toppings of your choice (shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, etc.)
- Heat a little bit of oil* in a skillet and sauté chopped onions and bell peppers for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and half of the taco seasoning, stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a cooking spatula. Then mix in canned tomatoes, and corn, and simmer for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remainder of the taco seasoning and the chopped cilantro and stir, then remove from the heat.
- Serve on warmed tortillas and add toppings of your choice (see suggestions below).
* Use a Misto cooking oil sprayer to coat the pan evenly. This keeps your cooking as light as possible while saving you money and avoiding nasty chemicals in the store-bought cooking sprays.
To warm tortillas, put them in a and put them in the oven or microwave according to manufacturers suggestions. Otherwise, you can wrap the whole stack in aluminum foil and heat them in the oven on 250 degrees for 12-15 minutes while you cook the meat, or wrap up to four at a time all in a wet paper towel and cook them in the microwave for about 30 seconds just before serving. tortilla warmer
Serving Suggestions and Topping Ideas
Serve with mexican rice and black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans.
Topping choices might include sliced avocado, diced tomato, sliced black olives, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, crumbled queso fresco (a delicious mild mexican cheese), shredded lettuce, sliced jalapeño peppers, sour cream, salsa, etc.
Try using clean fresh crisp lettuce leaves instead of tortillas to make a tasty lettuce wrap ground turkey soft taco!
Instead of sour cream, another light option is to mix low fat plain yogurt with your favorite salsa or hot sauce, or stir in some taco seasoning for a little more flavor.
Related Mexican Food Recipes
One of my most requested recipes! These delicious chicken enchiladas are to die for, thanks to the amazing cilantro sour cream sauce. I made 3 pans of these last Christmas Eve and apparently that's our new family tradition! Read more...
A delicious recipe for Authentic Mexican Rice, tips for how to make your Mexican Rice perfectly moist and fluffy, plus ideas for customizing your rice and using up leftovers! This dish is important staple to have in your recipe arsenal. It is such an easy and flavorful side dish, and versatile enough to go with anything from fish tacos to chicken enchiladas. Read more...
It's easy to mix up your own delicious taco seasoning blend at home with this simple recipe. Use in any of your favorite recipes in place of store-bought taco seasoning mix, or try replacing another spice mix to add a southwestern flair when you season meat, stews, soups, or vegetables. Read more...
A unique take on the standard favorite. My recipe uses powdered sugar and fresh lime juice instead of the usual sweet-and-sour mix for a cleaner, less chemical flavor. Crushed red pepper flakes and a glass rimmed with a special Mexican chile powder add heat to the mix, and presentation is completed with a slice of cucumber or a wedge of lime. If you love margaritas, and you love hot and spicy, you can't go wrong with this awesome drink! Read more...
Do you enjoy cooking with ground turkey as a substitute for ground beef?
Related Ground Turkey Recipes
This is a very simple and quick to prepare low fat recipe made with ground turkey. It is bursting with flavor and so versatile - you can add your choice of sauce or eat as-is on pasta. You won't miss the calories AT ALL! Read more...
Delicious, quick, and easy recipe for fabulously tasty spinach and feta turkey burgers, which is a healthier alternative to the traditional all-beef home-grilled hamburger. This recipe yields 6 hefty burgers that will be delightfully moist without being greasy, and so tasty you'll wonder why you haven't tried them before! Read more...
Thanks for reading!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe hub and have been inspired to cook your own low fat turkey soft tacos.
Do you enjoy cooking with turkey? Have you tried turkey soft tacos before? I'd love to hear what you think. Drop me a note in the comments section below.