- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Turkey Meatball Recipe, A Low Fat, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner, Full of Flavor!
This is a very simple and quick to prepare low fat recipe made with ground turkey. It is bursting with flavor and so versatile - you can add your choice of sauce or eat as-is on pasta.
You won't miss the calories AT ALL!!
This recipe makes about twenty 1.25" meatballs.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, (all white meat)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil or olive oil spray* (see notes), for browning
- Have a baking sheet or large platter lined with wax paper ready for placing raw meatballs on.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. A few whisks with a fork is fine.
- Add in the turkey meat, onions, parsley, garlic, oregano, breadcrumbs, and salt & pepper.
- Get your hands dirty! The best way to mix is to mush everything together and mix with your hands.
- When well mixed, begin to form the mixture into 1 1/4" balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Place them on the platter as you go.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Place the meatballs into the skillet and cook until evenly browned on the outside, turning with some cooking tongs after about 6 minutes.
This same mixture makes a truly delicious low fat homemade turkey burger recipe as well. When I make these meatballs, I double the recipe and do half meatballs and half burger patties, and save and freeze for later whichever meal is not on the menu for that day!
*To keep this recipe as low fat as possible, I recommend using a Misto Olive Oil Sprayer to spray the skillet instead of just pouring it in. You will get a nice even coating and use the minimum amount of oil possible.
A nice pair of cooking tongs is an excellent kitchen tool for recipes like this. They will allow you to turn the meatballs without them losing their shape or falling apart!
Cooking Tongs at Amazon
Other Tasty Turkey Recipes
Cooking with turkey is a healthy alternative to beef, and you might be surprised at how much flavor it can have with only a few ingredients! Try substituting ground turkey in any of your favorite recipes that call for ground beef and enjoy a less greasy version lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol...yet just as delicious!
I make these scrumptious Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers regularly. They are a common request by anyone who's tried them, and an instant favorite for those enjoying them for the first time.
Another popular turkey dish at Chez Jezebellamina is ground turkey soft tacos. Again, just substitute lean ground turkey for the ground beef in your favorite recipe, and enjoy!
|Serving size: 5 meatballs|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 28 g||56%|
|Cholesterol 140 mg||47%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The 1 cup of breadcrumbs has almost as many calories (480) as 1 pound of turkey (520) and the same amount of fat (6g)! I think I'm going to try it with a reduced amount of breadcrumbs next time and revise the recipe if it works well.