Lucuma - The Tropical Ice Cream Flavor Recipes
Have you ever been to Peru, Chile, or Ecuador? If you go there you will find that the most popular dessert flavor is a uniquely sweet and subtly maple
and sweet potato- like taste, this natural sweetener is inherited by adding Lucuma or "egg fruit". In South America, Lucuma ice cream outsells vanilla and chocolate varieties.
Lucuma is a subtropical fruit native to Peru, southern Ecuador, and Chile that was first reported in 1531. It is a green round or ovoid fruit with a bright yellow dry flesh that has the texture of hard-boiled egg yolk.
It is very nutritive fruit as it contains carbohydrates, fiber, B vitamins and a good deal of carotene. It is a healthy sweetener, since it has the good taste besides the valuable nutrients.
Lucuma Ice Cream
You can taste the value of adding lucuma powder to your ice cream, by going through these recipes which utilize it with sugar or with salt.
Lacuma Ice Cream with Sugar :
- 12 ----------- egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups --- sugar
- 2 1/4 -------- evaporated milk
- 3 cups ------- whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups --- lucuma pulp/puree (thawed)
- 1 1/2 tsp ---- vanilla
- Heat the evaporated milk on medium heat.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thickened and pale yellow in color.
- When the milk reaches a boil, pour a small amount into the egg yolk mixture while whisking. Add the rest of the hot milk and mix well.
- Cook the new mixture on medium-low heat until mixture starts to thicken and just barely comes to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Strain into a clean bowl, and place bowl in an ice bath.
- Add the lucuma puree, vanilla, and whipping cream and mix well. Chill thoroughly.
- Freeze ice cream according to your ice cream machine directions.
Lucuma Ice Cream with Salt :
- 3/4 cups ----------------- raw cashew (soaked)
- 1/4 cup --- coconut cream (coconut meat, or raw coconut butter)
- 1/4 cup --- lucuma powder
- 1/4 cup --- raw agave nectar
- 1/2 whole vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup --- water
- 1/8 cup --- maca powder
- Celtic Sea salt to taste (or use any highly mineralized salt)
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor it is a thick, creamy consistency. Put in a freeze proof container and freeze until it is ice cream. An ice cream maker is not required, but can be used.
- The Diet Solution Basics
The Diet Solution Basics : A review of the basics of weight loss, as well as the diet solution program and how far it copes with these basics.