- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Luscious Red Velvet Cupcakes In A Jar
These pretty cupcakes in a jar make a statement when used for gift giving or dinner parties.
Add one to a packed lunch, what a treat. Your kids will love one as a birthday cake in a jar, just top with candles. If you like attach a disposable spoon to the jar for eating.
I chose a red velvet cake it is so pretty in a glass jar, you may use carrot cake, chocolate cake or whatever flavor is your favorite.
- 3 cups cake flour, sfted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, softened, 1 1/2 sticks
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teasoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces canning jars, Takes 1 1/2 cupcakes per jar
- Preheat oven to 350 degreess Fahrenheit.
- Grease and lightly flour three muffin tins or you may use cupcake papers in the tins.
- In a large bowl, add butter and sugar, cream until fluffy with electric mixer at medium speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after adding each one.
- Whisk together in a small bowl, the cocoa, red food coloring and vanilla.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the batter; beat well. Stir the salt into the buttermilk; add to the batter, alternating with the flour. Beat until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Using a small bowl mix the baking soda and cider vinegar. Step 9: Add vinegar mixture to the batter and mix well, until batter is smooth.
- Place batter into muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degree for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, do not over bake.
- Let cool for 1 hour, until completely cool.
- Makes 36 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2-8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Add cream cheese and butter in a large bowl, beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla; beat well.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat until smooth.
- To thicken frosting before using, place frosting in a covered container and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, but no longer.
Assembling Cupcakes In a Jar
- You will need ½ pint canning jars.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, slice them horizontally in half.
- Place one half of cupcake in each jar.
- Place a light layer of the frosting on top of cupcake.
- Place one half of cupcake on the layer of frosting.
- Place a light layer of frosting on top of cupcake.
- Place one half of cupcake on top of frosting.
- Flatten gently, the top part of the cupcake inside the jar.
- Frost the top of the cupcake. You will have 1 ½ cupcake in the jar.
- Cover with lids and package however you like! Include a disposable spoon to eat it with if you like.