- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Luxe Eggs Florentine with Cheese Sauce
Sunday brunch worthy? Weekday morning fast? Please rate!
Florentine literally means in the style of Florence, Italy. Eggs Florentine traditionally consists of a poached egg laid on a bed of spinach and topped with either Hollandaise or Mornay sauce. All of this tops an English muffin.
- 2 eggs
- 1 c spinach, (pre-washed works well)
- 2 English muffins
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle Hungarian parika, (optional)
- 1/2 c Cheese sauce, see recipe
Poached Eggs: 6-10 minutes
Spinach: 2 minutes
Cheese Sauce: See recipe
- In a small sauce pan, bring to a boil approximately 3/4 inch water.
- Crack eggs into poaching molds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir egg to break yolk.
- Carefully place mold into boiling water; water should not get inside the mold. Cover sauce pan to seal in steam.
- Allow eggs to steam for approximately 6 minutes; watch carefully for desired level of doneness.
- Alternate ways to poach eggs: use a poaching set or poach the egg directly in water. For the latter, you must carefully stir the water around the egg.
Denver Art Examiner
- Nadia Archuleta - Denver art Examiner - Arts & Exhibits | Examiner.com
Get the latest news and information on art, including information on Arts & Exhibits.
- Spray saucepan with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
NB: I omit the oil to save on calories. As an alternative, you could heat 1 tsp olive oil in the pan and cook the spinach in oil.
- While egg is cooking, before cooking spinach, toast English muffin.
- Place English muffin in halves on plate.
- Layer spinach on top of both halves.
- Place egg on top of spinach.
- Spoon 1/4 c cheese sauce over eggs.
- Sprinkle with Hungarian paprika, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Eggs Florentine with Cheese Sauce
|Serving size: 1 egg, 1 muffin, 1/2 c spinach, 1/4 c sauce|
|Calories from Fat||153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 17 g||26%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 30 g||10%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 201 mg||67%|
|Sodium 430 mg||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Cheese for Sauce
What is the best cheese for sauce?
Cook Ahead Guide
- The eggs can be pre-cooked almost all the way done then re-heated in the same manner of cooking.
- The sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Re-heat with 1-2 T milk to return to correct consistency.
The Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach is a nutrient powerhouse. Its deep green leaves are filled with fiber, iron, beta-carotene, potassium, and vitamin C (when raw). You may not turn into Popeye (unless you join the navy and find an exercise to overdevelop the forearms, but here are some of the ways eating spinach improves your diet.
- Healthy filler: One cup of raw spinach contains 3.5 grams of fiber – twice as much as other greens -- which aids in digestion and fills you up.
- Antioxidants: Beta-carotene helps fight heart disease and cancer as well. The beta-carotene along with the antioxidant lutein help protect the eyes from cataracts.
- Immunity: Spinach contains vitamin C which, of course, helps prevent colds. In addition, one cup of spinach contains more than three times the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A, which helps protect the body's entry points and helps fight infections.
- Skin: Vitamin E, another antioxidant, promotes healthy skin by nourishing the cells. Vitamin A helps the skin retain moisture.
Poached Egg Recipe
Alternative Poached Egg Recipe
If you don't have the time to make a cheese sauce, you can make a healthy alternative to an egg McMuffin.
- Poach egg.
- Toast English muffin or alternate bread (I used Sandwhich Thins).
- Layer spicy Mexican cheese on bottom bun.
- Add poached egg.
- Add bacon or other meat (sausage, Canadian bacon, ham).
- Add top bun.
My author page: Croatia Blog
My reminisces about traveling to Croatia and a story inspired by my time in Mediterranean Paradise.
What is a poached egg?
A poached egg in an egg that has been cooked in simmering liquid. The classic method is to deposit the egg directly in the simmering water and stirring around the egg vigorously. I use an egg form. The egg is cracked into the silicone form and deposited in simmering liquid. I cover it and let it steam for about 6 minutes. This technically provides a steamed egg, but the consistency is similar to a poached egg.
Poaching eggs is the healthiest way, along with boiled, of preparing eggs. No external fat is used, so the egg's nutrition is not altered.