Macaroni Cheese with Celery
Macaroni cheese is an old standard that 'does the rounds' in most families - meaning you end up cooking it once a week or so.
This old recipe has been kicking around our family for as long as I can remember. I have no idea where it came from but it's a very good one.
It makes quite a large amount so you'll need a large casserole dish.Sometimes I divide this in two and freeze half for later, leaving off the cheese for freezing.
This recipe originally did not include fresh celery but I've found it adds an extra fresh, tasty flavour to the dish.
- One standard packet of macaroni
- One large can of tuna
- One standard can of cream of celery soup
- One standard can of evaporated milk
- One Onion
- One tablespoon of butter or margarine
- Optional Squeeze of lemon juice
- Optional finely chopped piece of fresh celery
- One and a half cups of grated cheese
- Heat oven to 150 C
- Boil macaroni according to packet instructions
- Dice onion, place in a small dish with butter [and celery if included] and microwave for two minutes or melt in saucepan on the stove
- Mix all the ingredients together (including macaroni) and place in a large casserole dish. add squeeze of lemon juice.
- Top with grated cheese
- Cook in a moderate oven for 35-40 minutes or until nicely brown on top.
More Easy Recipes
- Easy Zucchini Slice
For a super easy, healthy recipe you can't go past this zucchini slice. It's a breeze to put together, serves several people and is great to eat cold the next day if there's any left over. Perfect for a school lunch.
- Fresh Cherry Slice Recipe
This is a delicious, definitely decadent recipe made with fresh cherries and is very simple to make. It's quite rich, so you don't eat too much at one time and it keeps quite well in an airtight container in the refrigerator.