- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Macaroni and Cheese Soup
Macaroni and Cheese Soup
My kids love macaroni and cheese, and so do I.The creamy, cheesy goodness of macaroni and cheese makes it one of my favorite meals. Even before my kids were born, I loved spending a cold autumn night throwing together some homemade macaroni and cheese that my husband and I could enjoy. I experimented with different recipes for a long time until I found the perfect recipe for us.
After I had kids and they started eating table food and voicing their opinions about meals, I had a harder time making macaroni and cheese. I love the taste of a delicious, homemade macaroni and cheese dish with some buttery bread crumbs baked on top. My kids, however, refused to eat anything that didn't come from a box mix. I don't know what it is about those box mixes, but my kids love them and claim the homemade stuff is not as good. After years of experimenting with different homemade recipes, I decided I'd give the box mix a try again. Although it had been years since I'd eaten macaroni and cheese from a box, I gave it a try for my kids. It just wasn't the same as my favorite homemade recipe.
After a few months of battling with my kids about eating box macaroni and cheese, I decided to change things up. I added a few ingredients to their favorite box mix and created this simple recipe for macaroni and cheese soup. My kids love it, and my husband and I do, too. It reminds me of homemade cheese soup and it's much more quick to throw together. Best of all, you can throw in some fresh vegetables. For this recipe, I prefer to use carrots, but you can really use whatever you have around the house like cauliflower, broccoli or even peas.
This recipe is great because you probably have everything you need laying around the house. You'll need a box mix of macaroni and cheese. I use Kraft but you can really use whatever brand you prefer. You'll need a can of cheddar cheese soup. You'll need skim milk, or whatever kind of milk you prefer. You'll need a cup of chopped veggies. The meat is really optional, but I like using ham because it gives it a little extra flavor. If you want to cut back on sodium, though, you could leave it out. You could also use different options for the meat like turkey, chicken, or even hot dogs. Just be sure that whatever meat you use is fully cooked before you add it to the dish.
Another thing I enjoy about this recipe is that it makes a big batch. My kids clean their bowls but there are still usually enough leftovers for the next day. The leftovers don't get dried out like traditional macaroni and cheese tends to do. So, give this recipe a try. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as we do at our house!
Macaroni and Cheese Soup Photo
- 1 package (14 ounces) Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chopped, cooked ham
- 32 Ritz Garlic Butter crackers, optional
My Recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- In a large saucepan, cook the macaroni from the macaroni and cheese mix for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Set aside the cheese packet from the mix.
- While the macaroni is cooking, bring one cup of water to a boil in another large saucepan. Add the carrots and cook uncovered for five minutes. Stir in the soup, milk, ham, contents of the cheese packet, and onion powder. Heat through. Drain the macaroni and stir into the soup. Garnish with garlic butter crackers.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Protein 13 g||26%|
|Sodium 1099 mg||46%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Ideas to Customize Macaroni and Cheese Soup Recipe
You can customize this recipe to suit your own taste. Here are some suggested ideas:
- Add extra shredded cheese for more flavor. You can select any kind of cheese you like such as Colby jack, sharp cheddar or even Parmesan.
- Add your favorite vegetables like chopped zucchini, celery, or onions.
- Add other flavorful ingredients like mushrooms to add your own unique twist.
- You can add your own chosen garnishes like crumbled bacon, croutons, or green onions.