- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Macher Jhol is specialty of West Bengal region of India. Macher means Fish and Jhol means curry. So basically it is fish curry from West Bengal region of India. Since West Bengal is on the coast of Indian ocean and holy river of Ganges flows through it so it is rich in water and thus its cuisine contains lots of fresh water and sea fishes. Thus Bengali cuisine has got very tasty recipes for many fishes. The macher jhol dish is best enjoyed when the fish is brought fresh and cooked on the same day. You can use any fish to make this recipe but best made with the local fish to Bengal region like Rohu.
- Fish: 4 Pieces.
- Potatoes: 2
- Onion: 1
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: ½ Tsp
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- Bay leaf: 2
- Salt: To taste.
- Water: 2 Cups
- Wash the fish thoroughly and set aside.
- Now wash the potatoes and peel them. Cut them like French Fries. Put them in a bowl of water.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Now in frying pan, heat the 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Fry the fish till they are half done.
- Take them out and keep aside.
- Now fry the potatoes in one more Tbsp of oil..
- Fry till they are half done and keep side.
- Now take 2 Tbsp of oil in the pan and sauté onion with bay leaves.
- Now add all the spices mentioned in the ingredients in the onions and sauté it a bit more.
- Add 2 Cups of water and potatoes.
- Bring it to boil.
- Slowly add the fish pieces. You should be gentle or the fish pieces would break.
- Cook till the potatoes are fully done.
- Serve with rice.
More Fish recipes
- Fish Tikka Recipe
Sauce for fish, baked fish, recipe for fish, recipes for salmon, tuna recipes, baked salmon recipes, recipe for tilapia fish, fish cakes, grilled fish recipes, bakes fish recipes, salmon recipes, fish
- Pomfret Recheiado.
ndia has a huge coast line and 3 side of India is covered by sea. Thus sea food is very popular in west, south and east of India. India has a very big variety of sea food with countless varieties of fishes from very small fish to big game fish and It
- Indian Tandoori Fish
Making Tandoori fish is not difficult & can be easily made at home. It is unique to India & has unique Indian taste. Ingredients are easily available at a store nearby you or at eBay and amazon.com.