- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Machobos Diyay-Kuwaiti Chicken Recipe and Dakkus (Tomato Ketchup)
Machobos Diyay - Chicken Stew with rice
Machobos or Masbos Diyay -- Kuwaiti Chicken stew with Rice
This is a basic chicken stew recipe in Kuwait but very delicious especially the rice which you cook using the chicken stock. You would love this chicken recipe very much because you cook the rice using the chicken stock(water used to cook the chicken) which is very tasty and flavoured by the chicken and other ingredients.
With machobos or masbos recipes, you can also use meat like chicken, lamb(machobos lahem)and fish stew(machobos semich). So when you want to cook machobos lahem (lamb stew), just substitute the chicken to lamb but the other ingredients are the same with that of chicken stew (machobos diyay) and the same with machobos semich as well.
Machobos or Masbos Diyay (Kuwaiti Chicken Stew with Rice)
Kuwaiti Machobos Diyay - Chicken stew with rice
Kuwaiti Recipe - chicken with rice (Machobos Diyay)
- 1 whole Chicken/or chicken drumsticks, fresh
- 1 large onion, diced or cut into small cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or any cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon baharat(spice), ground
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in fours
- 6 cups rice, basmati
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 8 or10 pieces Cardamom pods
- 4 litres water, or enough water
How to cook Machobos or Masbos Diyay(In Kuwait)
- Wash chicken, dry and rub baharat spices all over chicken and set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft and brown. Add Chicken and keep turning until the chicken is brown a little bit.
- Add the water, cardamom pods and other ingredients. Make sure the water covers the chicken and leave to cook until chicken is tender and water is reduced.
- When chicken is tender, removed chicken from the saucepan. Strain the chicken and stock on a colander to remove the small bits and use the stock to cook the rice instead of using plain water. It makes the rice so tasty.
- Then fry the chicken lightly just to brown it and put it on a plate with kitchen roll on it to remove excess cooking oil. Then cook separate vegetables of your choice to go with the Machobos Diyay or you can have Ceasar salad with it as well.
- To cook the rice, wash the rice first then add it to the chicken stock and cook until rice is soft and ready to eat. Use 1 cup rice and 2 cups of chicken stock. If you got rice cooker use it.
How to make Kuwaiti Dakkus Recipe(homemade tomato sauce)
Machobos Diyay Recipe is always accompanied by a tomato sauce called Dakkus.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
How to make the Dakkus:
It is so simple and easy to make Dakkus(tomato ketchup)
Fry the crushed garlic until soft then add the fresh diced tomatoes, add the tomato puree then add water and stir until all the ingredients are blended and the sauce is thickened. Now your homemade tomato sauce is ready.
If you have no time to make the sauce you can use tomato ketchup or sweet and sour chilli sauce.
Any comments on this hub would be greatly appreciated to improve my articles. Please leave your comments down below, thank you.
Kuwaiti Machobos Diyay
- Mareg Bamia Recipe - Lamb and Okra Stew
Another favourite Recipe that I learnt from Kuwait is Mareg Bamia( Lamb and Okra Stew). It is one of my favourite Middle East recipe which I do cook now and again because it is so delicious.
© 2013 Linda Bryen