- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Make Your Own Adult Lunchables
Why Make Your Own Adult Lunchables?
You might want to make your own adult Lunchables for several reasons.
- Lunchables have changed over time. I recently purchased Lunchables for the first time since childhood, thinking it would be a quick and easy lunch, and I could get a little extra protein from the meat and cheese. I picked up a package at the store, got back to work, sat down at my desk, popped it open, and then sat staring in dismay as I picked out the contents. Maybe I am just getting old, but the Lunchables I remember had thick pieces of meat and cheese in them. This Lunchables had teeny, tiny little slices of meat and cheese. I skipped the crackers because they're not that wonderful and I don't want the extra carbs, but those looked pretty scrawny, too. If you make your own adult Lunchables, you can put actual adult-sized food in it.
- You can make your own adult Lunchables that are healthier. Lunchables feature a lot of processed ingredients, and unlike original Lunchables, which just contained meat, cheese, and crackers, newer versions have things like sugary juice and junk food (think Oreos and other sweets). If you make your own adult Lunchables, you can add healthy ingredients that are still tasty.
- You can make your own adult Lunchables to fit your nutrition needs. I bought Lunchables recently knowing I'd throw out the cookies and crackers that came inside, because I don't want the added fat, sugar, and carbs. When you make your own adult Lunchables, you can build it with healthy ingredients that provide the nutrients you're looking for without including those you don't want.
- You can customize the contents when you make your own adult Lunchables. You might like ham, but not Swiss. Or maybe you like turkey, but not cheddar. When you make your own adult Lunchables, you can include things you like and nothing you don't want.
Ingredients to Use When You Make Your Own Adult Lunchables
Whole Wheat Bread
Whole Wheat Pasta
Whole Grain English Muffin
What to Include When You Make Your Own Adult Lunchables
Here are some ideas for what to include when you make your own adult Lunchables.
- Meat. You can use the meat of your choice. Whether it's some fancy prosciutto or simple sliced turkey, you can include whatever you like. You can even make your own chicken salad with healthy ingredients.
- Cheese. The sky is the limit when it comes to including cheese. Whether you like brie, gouda, cheddar, Colby jack, or cheese curds, you can include your favorite kind of cheese.
- Nuts. Nuts like cashews or almonds add some flavorful crunch when you make your own adult Lunchables.
- Fruit. Whether you want to add an apple, grapes, or fresh banana slices, you can include whatever fruit you like. If you are going to make your own adult Lunchables well in advance of eating them, try some dried fruit like raisins or dried apricots.
- Whole Grain. If you must have crackers or bread, use a whole grain variety to avoid processed carbs.
- Eggs. You can include sliced, hard-boiled egg, or even deviled eggs if you wish.
- Veggies. If you like carrots, celery, or other fresh vegetables, you can put those in when you make your own adult Lunchables, too. You can even add some ranch, hummus, or another dip to complement the vegetables.
Make Your Own Adult Lunchables Poll
What would you include in your own adult lunchables?
Packing Lunch When You Make Your Own Adult Lunchables
Let's be honest. Those cute little compartments are half the fun of a lunchable. When you make your own adult lunchables, you can still pack them into cute little compartments quickly to keep all the contents separate. Look for some food storage containers with the number of compartments to fit the foods you will pack. These containers are available in most discount and grocery stores, and you can also find them on Amazon.