- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Marshmallows are a light and fluffy treat with limitless options. Give your sweet treats an extra heartfelt touch with custom homemade marshmallows. They are tasty by themselves or a great addition to other desserts.
You can embellish this basic recipe with flavoring and coloring of your choosing and even cut them out with cookie cutters for a cute touch. Peppermint stars for Christmas hot cocoa, neon cubes for a festive parfait or a touch of cinnamon for a sweet and simple snack, the possibilities are endless.
- 2 Tbs. unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Confectioner's sugar, (for rolling)
- In a mixing bowl pour cold water over gelatin and set it aside until the gelatin absorbs all the water.
- While gelatin absorbs the water, cook 3/4 cup water with sugar until it registers 238 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Add salt and vanilla to gelatin.
- Pour hot sugar syrup over gelatin slowly and beat constantly until cool and thick. (add flavoring now if needed)
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and then coat it with Confectioner's sugar.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan and dust the top with more confectioner's sugar.
- Let the marshmallows set for several hours.
- Cut your marshmallows into squares or shapes and roll in confectioner's sugar.