- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Make your own gluten free pumpkin cupcakes
Make a gluten free version of a favorite holiday treat!
With the holidays approaching it’s time to turn our attention to holiday baking! A popular ingredient over the Halloween and Thanksgiving season is pumpkin. The name "pumpkin" originates from the Greek word "pepon" which translates as a large melon. Many of us have relatives who are sticking to gluten free diets which can leave us wondering what to make for them. Pick up gluten free versions of ingredients such as gluten free flour and substitute them in recipes for friends and family. I advise checking ingredients with your guests first to see if they can have them.
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
Making Pumpkin Pie Spice
If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, it can be made by mixing the following ingredients which makes 1 teaspoon :
1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger, ground
1/8 tsp allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Mix the pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and milk. Add the flour, pumpkin spice, salt, baking powder and baking soda to the mixture. Fill each muffin cup with 3/4 cup of the mixture. Bake for twenty minutes and let cool for twenty minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle more pumpkin pie spice on top and serve.
Make your own pumpkin puree
If want to make your own pumpkin puree, cut the top off a small pumpkin, take the seeds out and cut in to quarters.
place the quarters on a baking sheet and bake on medium heat for 20 minutes. The skin should easily peel away. Wait for it to cool.
Now you are ready to puree it , and once done you can store in freezer safe bags until you are ready to use, they should keep for about a month.