- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
How to Make Cake in Pressure Cooker?
Have a birthday coming up? and don't have an oven? or even a microwave? well you can make a cake in a pressure cooker and feed it 5 or more people :) like we used to when we didn't owned an oven ( we still don't).
This is a recipe by my friend :D
ignore the decor... i am new at it lol
i hope you like it.
Recipe for Baking Cake in Pressure Cooker
- Pressure Cooker, without whislte
- Baking Dish, which would fit in the cooker
- Bowl, for mixing ingredients
- 1 cup All purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup iced sugar, finely grinded sugar can work too
- 3/4 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla essence, or take 1/2 tablespoon, up to your taste
- Wear gloves while putting/taking out dish into/from the pressure cooker, because it will be hot.
- Do not put whistle on the Pressure Cooker, because we do not want cooker to build pressure.
- IT CAN EXPLODE IF YOU PUT WHISTLE ON THE PRESSURE COOKER!
|Serving size: 40.1 g|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 67 mg||22%|
|Sodium 71 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Two methods are explained for making cake in a pressure cooker. Here are these simple steps to make cake without oven. Follow these steps:
Follow these five simple steps, lets get started!
First of all, separate the eggs yolk and white and put them in different bowls. Beat the egg white for 10-15 minutes, after beating put the material aside at room temperature without any covering.
Then beat the eggs yolk in the other bowl for 15 minutes, after that pour sugar in it along with oil and mix for 5 minutes. After that add milk, all purpose flour, baking powder and vanilla essence in the material.
Now add egg white (beaten well) into the material, and mix well for 5 minutes. Turn on the burner and put the cooker on low flames. Coat the inside of baking dish with oil and put a piece of paper in it (at bottom of dish only), then pour the material into the baking dish and put the dish into the pressure cooker.
Put some stand at the base of cooker before placing the baking dish.
Alternative for baking dish
If you do not wish to use baking dish, you can pour the batter (material of cake) directly into the pressure cooker, follow this;
Cover the base of cooker with paper and oil and then pour the material in it.
Cook for 1 hour on low-medium flame, and check after 50 minutes. You can check if the cake is cooked well or not by inserting knife into it, if knife comes out clean than cake is ready and and if knife comes out sticky then cook for another 15 minutes.
Cake is ready! Serve it to others.
As promised I have posted alternative methods of baking cakes for those who do not have an oven, follow these simple steps:
In a bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together until well combined and set aside until needed
In another bowl, cream the oil and sugar with a whisk until it comes together. You don't need an electric beater, just do this step by hand until the oil and sugar are well incorporated. Add the egg to this and beat again well until the mixture is a bit fluffy
Add milk and vanilla, mix gently again
Now add the flour mixture in two additions, folding gently after each addition. Do not overmix at this stage, just mix until you don't see any traces of flour remaining and the batter is lump free (small lumps should be okay, they will disappear on baking)
Grease a small baking dish or cake pan with butter/oil and pour the batter in. Tap the cake pan firmly on the kitchen counter a couple of times to remove any air bubbles in the batter
Preheat the pressure cooker by placing the plate or tray at the bottom of the pressure pan and closing the lid (no water needed, no gasket needed on the lid). Heat on medium flame for about 2 minutes until the cooker is hot.
Gently lower the cake pan with a pot holder into the pressure pan. Close the lid and keep the flame very low.
Cook for about 45-50 minutes until the a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. The cake will also leave the sides of the pan, which is a good indication that it's cooked. Remove from inside the cooker and cool for 10 minutes in the cake pan.
Then, gently invert onto a cooling rack or plate and cool the cake completely before cutting and serving.
Tip to Remember while Baking Cake in Pressure Cooker
- We are not going to use any water in cooker. There is a big concern with people sometimes that cooker might burst if you do not add any water.
Do not worry, cooker will not burst simply because we are NOT using the cooker Whistle or Cooker Weight to make this cake.
- Since, we are not using the whistle/weight, there is no chance of cooker building steam pressure inside it.
- Do not use a Steel bowl or plate. Neither for baking nor for keeping it between cooker base and baking tray.
- Direct heat at bottom can burn the cake, so keep the divider bowl/plate in cooker and then place the baking tin carefully on top of it.
- Do NOT use the cooker whistle/Weight.
- We need to use toothpick or knife to test the cake’s readiness. Poke toothpick at the center of cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, cake is ready. Else, you need to bake it for another 5-10 minute.
- So, we just made the Cake In Cooker and if you believe me, it takes less time than the one baked in Oven! The only thing is that you have to follow the steps as mentioned above and you can bake the cake easily in cooker.
How to bake Cake in Pressure Cooker Video Recipe by Bhavna
You can also check this video for making cake in pressure cooker by Bhavna
Something to try with
There are multiple ways of decorating the cake with whipped cream or with chocolate sauce or any other stuff that you may want to eat it with. We ate it with the Chocolate sauce as you can see in the images.
You can add cocoa powder (1 and a half tablespoon-1 1/2 ) into the mixture to have a chocolaty taste. You can also top coat the cake with chocolate sauce, just like i did.
- A pressure cooker is not meant for baking or using in the manner described above so consider that before using it to make a cake.
- I don’t expect the pressure cooker will burst into pieces while cooking (I was very worried about this though, without reason) but it may compromise the quality of the safety valve on the lid and the high heat may cause the handle and other parts to deteriorate a bit.
- Using your pressure cooker to bake once or twice a year is probably okay but not regularly. If you bake anything more than once a month, I recommend buying an oven. It will be worth it and your options are much wider than using a pressure cooker to bake.
Did you find this recipe helping?
© 2016 Vijeta Kashyap