- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Making Trdelnik Pastry at Home
Trdelnik “Chimney cake”
Trdelnik is a traditional cake and sweet pastry which originates from Romania. The name "trdelnik" comes from trdlo, the wooden stake the cake is wrapped around for cooking which gives it its traditional hollow shape. It is made from rolled dough, wrapped around a stick, then grilled and topped with sugar and walnut mix.
Trdelnik is gaining popularity among tourists and many versions have since been created i.e. with fruit shavings, raisins etc. One of the main selling points of this pastry is that it is a type of food that you can eat on-the-go (at anytime of the day) which will appeal to students or working adults who are pressed for time. On top of that, People are attracted to novelty products particularly pastries. Given that most people are better travelled these days, Trdelnik would not be foreign to them and thus more receptive to try it.
About the Ingredient
Fresh yeast is a form of Baker's yeast which is extremely perishable as compare to active dry yeast which is inactive due to lack of moisture.
Granulated sugar is superfine which dissolves better in baking whereas powdered sugar is often used decoratively as sugar crystals.
- 900 grams All-purpose flour, For Dough
- 140 grams Unsalted butter, For Dough
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar, For Dough
- 5 Egg yolks, For Dough
- 28 grams Fresh Yeast, For Dough
- 1/2 Cup milk, For Dough
- 1 cup Walnuts (finely chopped), For Frosting
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar, For Frosting
- 1 Egg, For Frosting
- Mixed the all purposed flour and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. Then proceed to make a small hole in the middle of the dough and place the fresh yeast into it. Then pour warm milk over the yeast and let the dough rise for 10 minutes.
- At the same time, melt the butter.
- Now, add the egg yolks into the bowl and pour the melted butter in.(Note: make sure the butter is not hot). Then, add a pinch of salt into it.
- Add the yolks to the dough and mix together to make a firm dough. (You might want to use a stand mixer to make it easier).
- Let the dough rise for 20 minutes under a sun or a warm place.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts.
- Roll out each parts into thin, cylindrical shape, like a small snake.
- Wrap the each part tightly around the BUTTERED "trdlo" wooden stick (can be substitute with a corn). Let it stand for ten more minutes (support the ends, so it will be in the air).
- Glair it with the last egg an cover it with chopped walnuts and granulated sugar.
- Place the wooden stick or the corn in an oven ( The oven must have the function of rotating).
- The pastry need to be baked until golden red color. Baking time is not determined, it is usually about 20 to 40 minutes, also depends on size that you making.
- When cooled down a little, slide out the baked pastry off the wooden stick and cut into individual servings.Sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
- You might want to make different favours with various nuts such as coconut.