Malva Pudding; My Mother's Way
Malva Pudding, an easy-to-make dessert, brings the whole family together; enjoying the taste of home.
- 250 ml flour
- 125 ml sugar
- pinch salt
- 12.5 ml butter
- 250 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 12.5 ml apricot jam
- 10 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 12.5 ml vinegar
- 150 g butter, (sauce)
- 190 ml sugar, (sauce)
- 250 ml milk, (sauce)
- 250 ml fresh cream, (sauce)
- 5 ml vanilla essence, (sauce)
- Sieve flour, sugar and salt together. Using your hands, rub butter into the flour mix, thus preventing clots.
- Mix milk and egg and add to flour mix.
- Add apricot jam and mix well.
- Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in vinegar and add to flour mix.
- Place mixture in a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees Celsius, until golden brown.
- To make the sauce, place butter, sugar, milk, fresh cream and vanilla essence in a pot on a hot stove top and mix until sugar has dissolved. Throw over pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven. Serve hot or with custard.
This legendary pudding is made to bring a smile to your face. It certainly brings a smile to mine as it reminds me of my mother and how the loved to bake...