- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Manchester Tart Recipe
This is another of my mums great recipes. Yes I always steal them off her!
I'm not usually much of a custard fan but paired with the coconut, jam and bananas it tastes so yummy! It is a really simple recipe, as we use frozen pastry but you could make your own if you feel confident making your own shortcrust pastry.
It is also pretty cheap to make and would be great for a kids party if their not a fan of sponge.
Rate this recipe
- Frozen Shortcrust Pastry
- 3tbsp Custard Powder
- 3tbsp Sugar
- 850ml Milk
- 200g Jam, Any Flavour
- 3 large Bananas, Sliced
- 3tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- Defrost pastry and roll out till it fits 23 cm tin. Place greaseproof paper over it then baking beans or rice. Bake on 180 for 20 - 25 mins. Check cooked remove and remove paper and baking beans.
- Place greaseproof paper over it then baking beans or rice. Bake on 180 for 20 - 25 mins.
- After the time check it is cooked, then remove paper and baking beans and set to cool for a little.
- Put custard powder and sugar in a bowl, add 2 tblsp milk stir into smooth paste.
- Put the rest of the milk into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, then put in the custard mix and return to heat. Slowly bring back to the boil, stirring all the time until thinkened. Take off heat and leave to cool.
- Spread jam over pastry base then place on sliced bananas and top carefully with the custard mixture
- Chill overnight in the fridge.
- Before service place desiccated coconut on a baking tray put into over until browned - watch carefully it burns easily.
- Sprinkle all over tart and serve.