- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
My Grandmother's Mandelbrot Cookies
Gami knows everything! Especially food. The years of experience she had baking in the kitchen of her family's Catskills hotel, qualify her as an expert. So, when she met her friend Adele and felt that Adele's Mandelbrot was the best she ever had, trust me it was.
She has baked this recipe for at least 40 years and EVERYONE always begs for it. Now that she's 90, and not really cooking anymore, she's helped me learn how to make it and helped me prepare this for you.
Mandelbrot is like a cross between biscotti and a cookie. They're addictive! Enjoy!
2 Oranges, rind only
1 Lemon, rind only
4 Eggs, Extra Large
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Oil
4 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Almond Extract
1/2 Cup Coconut
1 1/3 Cups Toasted Whole Almonds
1 Cup Chocolate Chips, Currants, or pieces of Candied Cherries (optional)
1. In a mixer, beat together rinds, eggs, sugar and oil for 5 -10 minutes.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture.
3. Add vanilla, almond extract, coconut, almonds and chocolate chips (or whatever you decide to include). Chill overnight.
4. Preheat over to 325 degrees. Roll into ropes on floured board. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. While hot, cut into pieces on the diagonal.
6. Lay flat and sprinkle slices lightly with sugar and cinnamon. It's best if you combine sugar and cinnamon together first.
7. Place in oven and bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until crisp and golden.