Mango Thandai - An Indian Coolant Drink Recipe
Thandai is a popular summer drink in India, that has a coolant effect on the body. It is prepared from extracts of almonds, pistachios, fennel seeds, peppercorns, rose petals, cardamom, saffron threads, and watermelon seeds mixed in sweetened milk. The herbs used in this drink have a protective effect against heat strokes, hyperacidity, heartburn and skin rashes, that are common in hot summer season.
Traditional Significance of Thandai
Traditionally, along with Woodapple or Bael leaves, Thandai is offered to Lord Shiva on the festive occasion of Mahashivratri. This day marks the convergence of Shakti and Shiva. On this auspicious occasion, Lord Shiva was married to the Indian goddess Parvati. It is believed that, on this day, the planets are in an ideal position for a person to utilize cosmic energy to raise his or her spiritual energy. After offering this drink to the Lord, it is distributed amongst the devotees as prasadam. Bhang Thandai, a mildly intoxicating drink, prepared by mixing cannabis leaves with Thandai, is also popularly served as a part of celebrations of Holi, the Indian festival of colors.
Mango Thandai - An Instant Indian Coolant Health Drink
Nutritional Benefits of Thandai
Being made from a diverse variety of herbs, nuts, and seeds, Thandai is loaded with health benefits.
Almonds are a rich source of B-complex vitamins, minerals such as Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc, healthy fats, such as Mono Unsaturated and Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA and PUFA), phytosterols that have cholesterol lowering properties, and vitamin-E, that has a rejuvenating effect on the body and skin.
Fennel seeds have carminative effects, and improve digestion.
Black pepper contains vitamin-K and minerals, such as Iron and Manganese. It has a natural curative effect on diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, toothache, tooth decay, sunburn, and liver disorders.
Cardamom is renowned worldwide for its aromatic fragrance. It has a thin, papery outer shell, with small black seeds inside. It is used to treat infections of teeth and gums. It is a natural mouth freshener, and prevents bad breath. It has a beneficial effect on lung tuberculosis, other breathing disorders, sore throat, and digestive problems.
Saffron is an aromatic spice, that imparts a yellowish tinge to this health drink. Dark red colored saffron threads are actually dried stigmas extracted from flowers of Crocus sativus. It is a natural immunity booster.
Watermelon seeds contain omega-6 fatty acids, mono unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. One cup of dried seeds contains around 50 gms of fat, of which 10 gms is saturated fat. These seeds are also a natural source of minerals, such as Magnesium, Iron, Copper, Manganese, vitamins, and proteins.
- 250 ml milk, whole milk or low fat milk
- 3/4 cup ripe mango, chopped
- 20 almonds, blanched and chopped
- 10 pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rose syrup
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon watermelon seeds
- 6-8 saffron threads
- 4-6 peppercorns, crushed
Ingredients of Mango Thandai
Instant Mango Thandai Recipe
- Soak almonds in water for 6-8 hours, or blanch them in warm water, that the brownish outer skin gets easily removed.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (chopped almonds and pistachios, fennel and poppy seeds, crushed peppercorns, cardamom powder and watermelon seeds) and chopped mango in half a cup of milk.
- To this, add one tablespoon of Rose syrup. To make a more authentic Thandai recipe, you can use fresh or dried red rose petals, instead of Rose syrup. In that case, add two tablespoons of powdered sugar to the dried herb mixture.
- Soak saffron threads in one teaspoon of warm milk for ten minutes, until they impart a yellowish tinge to the milk.
- Add this milk to the herb mixture, and blend it to make a smooth, and uniform thick paste.
- Add the remaining milk, and blend again.
- Strain this liquid through a sieve or a fine muslin cloth, and discard the solid contents.
- Refrigerate this Thandai for around half an hour. Garnish with chopped nuts and cardamom powder. Serve chilled.
Rate This Recipe
To add more flavor and increase its nutritive value, you can replace mango with an apple or a muskmelon.