Masoor Dal - A veg. Recipe from The Bengali Cuisine
This pink colored pulse is the most common item for Bengalis. Masoor Dal is a must when you are taking a major meal at Bengal. It is very healthy, easy to prepare and easy to digest.
Ingredients ( Serve for 2 -3)
- Masoor dal 1 cup
- Garlic clove (chopped) 2 no
- Cumin seed 1tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Mustard oil 2 tsp
- Red chilli 1 no
- Bay leaf 1 no
- Green chilli 3 no
- Salt to taste
- Wash masoor dal properly.
- Take the washed dal in a pan and add 3 cups of water.
- Cut the green chillies along the length and put it in the pan along with the dal and water ( If you prefer less fire remove the seeds).
- Add turmeric powder.
- Put it on a low flame and cook till the dal become tender. (Don’t put the lead otherwise it might spill over).Masoor dal is cooked very fast and overcooking might destroy its taste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove the pan from the flame.
- Take another pan and put it on the medium flame.
- Add oil and heat till smoke starts coming.
- Lower the flame and immediately add garlic cloves, red chilli, bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- Stir for a few seconds and add the cooked dal immediately.
- Cook for another 2 minutes on high flame.
Serve with fine rice along with potato fry or brinjal (Eggplant) fry.