What is Matcha green tea powder?
What is Matcha green tea powder?
Matcha green tea powder is a form of green tea made from only quality tea leaves that is ground to a fine powder at a mill. Matcha green tea originated in Japan where it was served only to royalty. It has a very fine texture similar to baby powder and can be brewed either thick or thin depending on your personal preference.
Matcha is not just a wonderful tasting drink it is also very good for you health because it is loaded with disease fighting antioxidants. The health benefits of green tea are quite impressive that is why you find green tea in just about everything nowadays.
What makes Matcha green tea so special is the fact that when you drink a cup your getting the full benefit of the tea because you are consuming the whole leaves and not just drinking the tea that has been steeped off the leaves. You get to take advantage of all the vitamins and antioxidants this tea has to offer.
Matcha is made only from quality tea leaves and a good matcha can't be found in a grocery store and tends to fetch a higher price over some other types of tea. There are some places online that sells matcha at a reasonable price.
If you never tried matcha green tea I highly recommend you do, you may just find yourself pleasantly addicted to a healthy habit.
How to brew matcha green tea?
Matcha brewing guide
1. Pre heat a Matcha bowl with hot water until the bowl is warm then remove the water and dry.
2. Add 1/4 tsp (Add more for a thicker brew)to the bowl
3. Add 1 cup of hot water temp 165-175 deg F (This temp range is important)
4. Rinse a whisk and vigorously whisk the tea and water until it becomes frothy.
5. At this stage you should have what looks to be a bowl of algae...congratulations on your moment ...Enjoy! :-)
1. Use a matcha whisk it is the best way to make this tea it don't work as well with a spoon....I tried.
2. Use a good quality water, It makes a difference. Try spring water.
3. Never bring the water to a boil before adding it to you tea if you boil it start over.
4. Never use water that is too hot this will bitter your tea.
5. The goal is to mix the tea so that it suspends in the water the tea is not suppose to dissolve.
Things you should know about Matcha.
* Matcha contains is Good source of L-theanine & amino acids which improve calmness and mental clarity.
* Matcha is an excellent blood detoxifer due to high chlorophyll content.
* Matcha also contains 70 times the antioxidants of orange juice, has roughly nine times the beta-carotene of Spinach, and four times that of carrots.
Matcha, also has approximately 10 times the antioxidants of regular teas per gram.
- Information on Tea
This site has a lot of information on all types of tea and there health benefits.
Low calorie Matcha smoothie
* 1 tsp (or more) Matcha green tea powder
* 2 tsp hot water
* 1 cup skim milk
* 1 ripe frozen banana (or other fruit get creative here)
* 1 tbs honey (optional)
* 3-4 ice cubes
* 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt for more body (will add a few calories)(optional)
Step 1 Mix the matcha in in the hot water
Step 2 Add ingredients to the blender then add the matcha
Step 3 Blend until you have a smoothie :-)
More things to cook with Matcha
*Matcha rice pudding*
2 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 Tbls. Matcha green tea powder
1/3 cup white rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins
Stir Matcha in into the milk. Combine this mix into a medium saucepan with rice and salt up to just about to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender. Stir frequently.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg and brown sugar together.
Add egg mixture into the saucepan of rice and milk and stir well, on low heat, for 10 minutes or so, until thickened. Do not boil. Stir in the vanilla extract. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and cinnamon. Serve (2-3)
More to come!
"It's better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one."
Health benefits of green tea
* Reduces high blood pressure
* Naturally increases energy with continued use
* Prevents Cardiovascular disease
* Keeps your immune system healthy
* Reduces inflammation
* Has some effect on weight loss
* Research indicates that green tea may prevent some types of cancers It is believed that because the antioxidants clean out the poisonous free radicals out of your body, It slows the onset of cancer.
* There have been thousands of studies on the health benefits of tea.