Mawa Barfi Recipe
Mawa barfi is one of the most selling sweet dish in India. Be it south or north India, you’ll find variation of mawa barfi in almost any part of India. This sweet dish is popularized because of food chains opened by some rajasthani sweet marts and marwari sweet shop-keepers.
With every shop in city, taste of this sweet-dish changes as they make variation to the mawa barfi. This sweet dish is often preferred in parties, holy celebrations, marriage and other event food. Some people even serve it as desert but it is quite rare to see people eating barfi on daily basis, so it is occasional sweet dish.
You need khoya to prepare this recipe. What is khoya? khoya is a dried whole milk prepared by heating milk in an open pan to condensation. It is similar to ricotta cheese, but lower in moisture.
|Serving size: 8 People|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 500gms Khoya
- 2 tbsp cardamom powder
- 2 sheets sheets silver foil (edible)
- 250-300 gms Powdered sugar
- When you purchase khoya from market then make sure you mash it before you start cooking with it. If you created khoya in your home then just start mashing it a little bit more and add some sugar to it.
- When you add khoya and sauce, make sure the pan is bigger as many time short pan can’t let you stir the thick concentration of khoya. Keep your pan on medium heat while you stir the khoya.
- Stir it till the khoya becomes less thick and can let you have soft lump of it.
- Once you get the soft lump of khoya you need to place the mixture on wooden board or metal where you can spread the khoya.
- Allow the spreader mixture to cool down. You can also put it inside fridge in order to let it stay cool. Now once it cools down cut it into equal square cubes. Other than squares you can also cut it in way that pieces appear in shape of diamond.
- You can choose your own design with it as there are many variations of barfi.
Mawa barfi is available in many flavors. Some of the flavors include pineapple, apple, orange and mango. In order to get those flavours you can purchase artificial color/taster mix or you can buy flavor syrup to change the taste and to add variation. It’s up to you to make variation in taste. There are many shops that sells chocolate and mango flavor as mawa barfi variation.
If you’re having any celebration, festival or holidays then try this recipe. You’ll definitely enjoy the taste of it.