- Food and Cooking
Meat and Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe
Meat and vegetable fried rice is one of the easiest meal you can cook. You can prepare this for your breakfast, for your lunch or for your dinner time. As a Filipino, it is a special treat for breakfast, mostly done for special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. For dinner time, you can serve this fried rice with fresh made salad.
In cooking this recipe, you can use leftover rice from last night. Leftover rice is the best for making fried rice. I usually use a medium or long grain rice for this recipe. You can boil rice in a kettle or cook it in a rice cooker. Rice cooker is the best way of cooking rice, as you can leave it alone while doing other things because it automatically stops when rice is done.
Kinds of rice for frying
- Basmati rice
- Jasmine rice
- A medium or long grain rice
- Brown rice
I love cooking rice in my rice cooker. It is a must in a Filipino or Asian household. No burning of rice again. Easy to use and I can also bake a cake or steam a rice cake and other food in this rice cooker.
How I cook rice
- I put 2 cups of rice in a kettle. Wash the rice twice with water to get rid of dust. Discard the water.
- Then I add 3 cups of water to the kettle with rice and cook it in a medium heat until it boils.
- I put the stove on into slow heat and leave it for around 10 minutes, then put the heat off.
- Rice is now ready to use.
Rice in Rice Cooker
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece tomato, cubes
- 1 cup fried chicken, leftover and sliced
- 1 cup beef loaf or ham, cut into cubes
- 1 cup cauliflower, sliced into desired size
- 1 cup broccoli, sliced into desired size
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 cup bagiou beans or string beans, sliced thinly
- 1 piece red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 cups rice (leftover, if you have), cooked
- 1 piece spring onion, chopped
- soy sauce (optional), a teaspoon or more
- salt and white pepper, to taste
Electric wok is a good kitchen utensil especially if you love stir fried food. You can cook almost every food in it and it is easy to clean as well. Besides rice cooker, electric wok is my most kitchen utensil I use at home.
- Heat a wok or a frying pan in an electric range or a gas stove. Put a small amount of vegetable oil or any kind of oil you prefer to use for frying. Then saute the chopped garlic and tomato cubes. You can include onion cubes after putting garlic if you wish.
- Add the sliced cauliflower and broccoli. Stir fry the cauliflower and broccoli until half done. Then add sliced carrots and bagiou/string beans. Add the sliced bell pepper. Mix them well.
- Add the prepared leftover chicken and sliced beef loaf or ham. Mix them to the vegetables.Then add the cooked rice when the vegetables are tender enough for chewing. Stir them well.
- Add the chopped spring onions and a few tablespoons of soy sauce. Taste with salt and white pepper. You can add chili powder if you want, to have this fried rice hot.
- Serve this fried rice with tomato salad or any salad you prepare to have. Enjoy your meal.
Another Yummy Recipe
- Family Meal Ideas: Pedia´s Crunchy Spring Rolls
This is a family meal recipe from my late mother. Pedia´s Spring Roll recipe is always a hit in our family parties as it is cook for a crowd of more than a dozen. It contains a lot of work but with the helping hands of a family, this is a great way o
- Rice has a lot of carbohydrates, an instant fast energizer, rich in vitamins and minerals like iron, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and calcium. It helps stabilize blood sugar level in the body.
- Bell Pepper contains fiber, folic acid and vitamin B6. It contains a lot of vitamin C and A which are antioxidants in helping fight against free radicals in the body. It helps reduces heart diseases, cataracts and some cancers.
- Broccoli is one of the super foods. It has an antioxidant which helps fight the free radicals in the body. It contains magnesium, potassium and calcium which help in regulating the blood pressure. It is good for the heart, bones, eyes and nervous system. It strengthened the immune system as well as prevent cancer.
- Cauliflower contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Manganese and vitamin C, which are in cauliflower are both antioxidants. Cauliflower has anti inflammatory substances, vitamin K and Omega 3 fatty acids which help in decreasing inflammation of illnesses like arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Carrot is one of the power food. It has a powerful effect of our health that gives us a glowing healthy skin, good for our eyes, anti-aging, prevent cancer and heart diseases.
- Green / Bagiou/ String beans contain vitamins such as A, B6, B 12, C, and minerals like iron, magnesium, manganese, calcium and potassium. They are low in calories and are rich in dietary fiber.
Source: Wikipedia and You Tube
What kind of rice would you prefer in making fried rice?
© 2012 Thelma Alberts