- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Meatballs recipe, Vietnamese style
It might not be a good time to post meatballs recipe but better share now than let it forgotten.
When making meatballs, apart from the core ingredients including meat, onion and seasoning I often add an egg yolk to bind them together and enhance moisture; Very often I would add shittake mushroom and black fungus for health benefit, texture and flavour as well.
- 1 lb. minced pork
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1-3 shallots, minced
- 5-10 toasted black peppercorn, freshly coarsely ground
- 1/2 - 1 oz. black fungus, soaked into warm water, washed and minced(optional)
- 1/2 -1 oz. shittake mushroom, soaked into warm water, wasted and minced (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. corn flour or tapioca flour (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Make the mixture: Mixed onion, shallot and pepper with minced pork and let set for 1-2 minutes. Add black fungus, shittake mushroom, fish sauce and mix; Add egg yolk and/or 1 tsp. flour and mix. Finally mix with oil and let set for few minutes.
- Make the balls: Make balls of a 1 tbsp mixture, then press down so it will be cooked with less oil and remains juicy.
- Place a flat bottom pan over medium heat, pour oil to a depth of 1/12”, wait till hot, around 1000 C, then add meat balls in batches, brown one side and turn, brown the other side and transfer to table towels to drain. Place to serving plate, serve with rice and other dishes.
- Option 1: Treat as your normal meat balls, go in spaghetti or baguette.
- Option 2: Serve with rice ---- pickle/ salad/ boiled vegetable -----and sauce/ fish sauce/ Vietnamese tomato sauce.
- Option 3: Serve with vermicelli, dipping sauce, pickle and fragrant herbs.
- Option 4: Add to your noodle bowl
- Option 5: Simmer with tomato sauce(please go to tomatorised tofu for the method) and serve with rice at option 2
- Buy fresh pork shoulder, slice and minced it with your blender for better quality meat and meatball
- Use lean pork and mix with vegetable/olive oil for better fat source
- Take advantage of your blender: mince pork, mushroom, onion
- Learn to control the heat, the balls should golden brown, thoroughly cooked and remain juicy.
- Add chilli flakes for some kicks
- Do not toast 5-10 peppercorns when the recipe requires, toast 1-2 cup in a dry pan till release aroma, let cool and keep in an airtight container.
- How to reduce cholesterol with black fungus
My dad has high cholesterol so we try to adjust his diet, Honestly, We use garlic & onion salad because dad love to eat it but we use black fungus whenever we can, as in this meatballs, it adds crunchiness to the texture and good for our health.
- Shittake mushroom benefits
Immune system boosting benefit and much more