Mediterranean Quinoa Patties. How to Make a Gluten and Wheat Free Main Course or Appy.
A tasty and healthy alternative to a veggie burger
Make these tasty quinoa cakes as a main or create smaller ones for an appetizer. Serve with a sauce of your choice or use the lemon yogurt sauce recipe included here. The patties are simple to make - just remember to allow time for chilling before you cook them. The quinoa patties can also be made in advance and cooked later.
How to make Quinoa Patties
- 3/4 cup quinoa - washed, cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion - yellow or red chooped
- pinch of x 2 salt and ground back pepper, (use 1 x each in both sauce and patties)
- 1 1/2 cups spinach leaves, chopped roughly
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp brown or white rice flour
- 1 flat tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lemon - grate rind and separate juice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds or chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup natural greek yogurt
- 2-3 green or spring onions finely chopped
- Cook quinoa in either water or vegetable stock. Add 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning. Set aside and cool in a strainer.
- Roughly chop spinach, onions and garlic. In a skillet, using half the olice oil, cook onions and garlic until soft and add spinach. Cook until the mixture is dry. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs with a fork, add salt and ground pepper, paremsan cheese, rice flour, baking powder and lemon rind. When combined, fold in quinoa and spinach mixture.
- Form mixture into patties and place on wax paper on a baking sheet. Cool in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the lemon yogurt sauce. Mix yogurt, lemon juice and salt and pepper together, add chopped spring/green onions and set aside in fridge.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet and cook patties turning two or three times for about 8-10 minutes. Serve 2 small or large patties per person as an appy or a main, with salad and lemon yogurt, or other preferred sauce. Delicious!