Meringue and Strawberry with Vanilla Cream. A Tasty Wheat and Gluten Free Desert.
Fluffy and Light Meringue
This recipe is a no fail meringue base that you can use to make little mini meringues or individual baskets. The texture holds up well and dries nicely in a low oven. You can pre-make the meringues and keep them for up to a week in an airtight container. However do not fill them until you are ready to eat or within a couple of hours of eating and keep as cool as possible until ready to serve. Raspberries also make a delicious alternative to strawberries for the filling.
Please rate this recipe - thank you!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tblsp icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
How to Make Meringue
- Pre- heat over to 225. Separate yolk and egg whites and whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and whisk until mixture is shiny and stiff
- Spoon individual rounds onto a prepared cookie sheet lightly greased and covered with baking parchment - or shape into individual baskets. Bake in oven for 50 minutes to one hour.
- When the meringues are cooked peel off parchment paper and allow to cool on a wire rack. Whisk the cream and add 1 tablespoon icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla, whisk further.
- When meringues are cool spread cream onto each half and then add strawberries to lower half and sandwich.
- If you are making baskets simply fill the baskets with cream and top with strawberries. Either choice is also delicious with rasperries.