Methi Paratha and Ladies Finger in Yogurt Gravy - Nice Combination to Try
About Methi paratha
In India fenugreek leaves are called methi leaves. Methi leaves paratha are shallow fried traditional Indian flat breads prepared using fenugreek leaves. Rich source of iron, protein and fibers. They can be eat for breakfast or a meal accompaniment to curry or gravy. Or can also serve with butter, curd, pickle etc. This is one of the easy way to include methi leaves in our diet. These leaves gives unique flavor to normal roti. Very healthy alternative to normal plain paratha and roti. Stomach filling too.
Fenugreek or methi leaves are very nutritious. They help to keep the blood sugar level in control. Good remedy for constipation. They are used to prepare many dishes and they tastes amazing when rolled into parathas.
Cook Time for Methi paratha and Ladies Finger gravy
Ingredients for methi paratha and ladies finger gravy
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- salt as required
- 1/2 cup methi or fenugreek leaves, plucked, washed, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, or as required
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons oil, ghee can be used
- 1/2 cup water, or as required
- 250 grams ladies finger, washed, dried and chopped
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste, home made or store brought
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida or hing
- a spring of fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon besan flour
- 1/4 cup fresh curd, whisked
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
Preparation for methi paratha
- Pluck the young methi leaves from stems, wash and drain leaves thoroughly. Then chop finely. Keep aside.
- In a wide bowl or pan, take wheat flour, salt, mix properly. ( You can dissolve salt in 2-3 teaspoons of water, then add wheat floor).
- To this add turmeric powder, red chili powder, carom seeds and 1/2 teaspoon of oil.
- Now add finely chopped fenugreek leaves.
- Mix everything properly. Make soft pliable dough by adding enough warm water little by little. ( Don't add generous amount of water as dough turns sticky).
- Cover and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough, make small balls.
- Flour the rolling area, place a ball of dough on flour and roll into round shape parathas by dusting some flour over ball on both the sides. (parathas should not be very thin nor too thick). Set aside.
- Repeat the same procedure for all dough balls.
- Heat tawa on a medium to high flame. Grease some oil or ghee.
- Fry parathas in medium to high flame till golden spot and tiny bubbles appears. Flip it, drizzle some oil or ghee over paratha and press with spatula to make them pluffy.
- Repeat flipping till slightly browned. Transfer to hot box or container.
- Serve hot.
Step by step preparation with pictures
About Ladies finger in Yogurt gravy
Ladies finger is one of the widely consumed vegetable in India and other countries. They are rich in fiber contents and helps in lowering the blood sugar level. Ladies finger in yogurt gravy is mildly tangy, creamy, smooth and spicy gravy which is very delicious and easy to make, yet flavorful dish. This is made with fresh yogurt, gram flour, spices and fried ladies finger. Gram flour gives thickness to this recipe. A must try recipe, goes well with roti, paratha, naan etc.
Steps to prepare Ladies finger in yogurt gravy
- Wash and dry ladies finger. Chop off both the ends and chop them into small sized circles. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onions. Keep aside.
- Prepare ginger-garlic paste by grinding fresh 1 inch long ginger and 5-6 garlic in mixer jar without adding water. Keep aside. ( You can use store brought too).
- In a pan heat 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil. To this add pieces of ladies finger and fry in medium flame till they lose their stickiness and turns tender. Keep aside. ( This may take about 7-10 minutes).
- In the same pan again heat 1-2 teaspoons of oil.
- To this hot oil add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Then add fenugreek seeds or methi seeds, dry red chilies, fresh curry leaves and hing. Fry for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Saute till onion turns brown and raw smell of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
- To this add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything properly.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of besan flour or gram flour. Fry in low flame till nice aroma comes and gram flour turns golden brown in color.
- In a bowl take 1/4 cup of curd and beat it properly. Add this whisked curd to besan flour mixture and mix it properly.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and cook for 1-2 minutes in low flame.
- Now add fried ladies finger. Saute and mix.
- Add garam masala and kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves. Mix and cook.
- Add more water if required to adjust the consistency of gravy. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha, naan etc.
Steps with pictures
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 25 g||125%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 18 mg||6%|
|Sodium 190 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More about the recipes
- Curd can be used in making methi paratha dough which further enhances the taste.
- Paratha dough need to be rested for 10-15 minutes. Resting dough makes soft parathas.
- Overcooking parathas will make them hard.
- If you feel your dough is sticky, then add some more wheat flour.
- You can replace fresh methi leaves with dried methi leaves called kasuri methi. But taste differs.
- Do not overcook the gravy as ladies finger turns mushy.
- Adding more yogurt will make gravy more tangy. So keep it minimal.