Mexican Breakfast Ideas – The Salsa Bagel Sandwich and The Salsa Western!
While buttery scrambled eggs on buttered toast certainly tastes pretty good, finishing a breakfast of this variety tends to leave me feeling a little stodgy – which is not necessarily what I’m going for at the approach of another day.
Well, rather than give up buttery eggs and buttery toast, I’ve discovered an antidote to heavy breakfast syndrome that leaves me feeling great at the end of a morning meal – no matter how hearty.
Fresh Chopped Salsa.
Fresh, limey, oniony chopped tomato salsa. Serve any kind of buttery scrambled eggs with a tart salsa over top and you’ll end the meal feeling great. It’s all about balance and while a little lime juice won’t necessarily compensate for the calories in a big breakfast, it keeps your palate feeling refreshed and leaves you in much better shape at the end.
A simple salsa
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbls of minced white onion
- 1 Tbls of fresh cilantro, chopped
- A couple of good squeezes of lime juice
- Mix all the ingredients and taste for salt and tartness. The amount of lime juice required depends largely on the sweetness/tartness of the tomatoes, and so you’ll have to taste on your own to get it right. You do want the salsa to have a sour kick, though.
You can also add a little fresh chopped Serrano or jalapeno or Thai chili to this, if desired. I like spicy food in general, although on eggs, I tend to prefer this simple salsa without the chili. Up to you…
Here are a couple of ways I like to use fresh salsa with eggs.
Bagel with Salsa
- Toast and butter a bagel and lay the two halves on a plate. Top with 3 scrambled eggs.
- Top the eggs with about ½ a cup of fresh chopped tomato salsa and grate a little cheddar cheese on top - Heaven.
Western Salsa Sandwich
- Toast and butter some bread or a bagel
- Cut 2 strips of bacon into slices and chop 2 Tbls of onion and about ¼ of a tomato
- Add the bacon and onion to a non stick fry pan over medium and let fry until the onion is softened and the bacon has crisped a little.
- Toss in the tomato and let cook for a further minute or so
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and stir to mix. Add a pinch of salt and then pour into the fry pan.
- Let the eggs cook until they are almost set and then fold the omelet into a square shape, suitable to the size of your toast. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look pretty here, as no one will see it inside the sandwich.
- Lay the egg on the bread and top with a little grated cheddar cheese and about ¼ cup of fresh chopped tomato salsa.
So get a little south of the border for your next weekend breakfast at home and see how much better those eggs taste with a sour kick to follow!
More Breakfast Ideas
- Make a great Mexican breakfast with this chipotle to...
My favorite breakfast of all time has to be scrambled eggs with fresh tortillas and a spicy smoky chipotle tomato sauce. All topped with shaved white onions, fresh cilantro and queso fresco. I really don't...
- Scrambled Egg Breakfast Enchiladas. A 10 Minute Reci...
Corn tortillas are perfect with scrambled eggs and although breakfast burritos may get all the recognition and renown, the humble breakfast enchilada is (to my taste buds) a far more satisfying meal. ...
- How to Make Mexican Chicken Chilaquiles. Easy Authen...
Oh the pleasures of leftover corn tortillasand the older and staler the better! Seriously, cause when the tortillas get dried out enough to render them fairly unappetizing for your more traditional taco...