Easy Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Beef Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
You can find Mexican lasagne recipes on-line quite easily but not like this one, believe it or not this recipe idea came to me in a dream!
I don't know how or why this happened as I very rarely dream of anything let alone a tasty food idea but I simply woke up with the idea one morning and decided to try it out with very good results.
I've made this dish ten or so times in the past and I have tweaked the recipe every time but I think it's now at the stage of being complete but I would love to know your thoughts, below is the instructions and ingredients you will require enjoy.
- 300ml Sour cream
- 500 grams Minced beef
- 1/2 Large onion, diced
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow pepper, diced
- 8 Whole mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tortillas
- 1 jar Guacamole
- 1 jar Salsa
- 1 jar Chilli sauce
- 1 table spoon Chilli powder
- 500 grams Chedda cheese
- First you need to make a chilli con carne. Use a frying pan to fry the mince beef until brown.
- Add, the onions, peppers and mushrooms to the frying pan, I would also add a pinch of salt and black pepper to the mix to give a better flavour.
- Add the jar of chilli sauce and a pinch of chilli powder and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next you will need a large none stick baking tray
- Lay one tortilla on the baking tray and cover with 1/3 of the chilli con carne then add 1/3 of the sour cream, sprinkle with cheese and repeat this process 3 times the same as making a Italian lasagne. You will also need to add a table spoon of guacamole and salsa as you see fit.
- Place the last tortilla on top and cover with sour cream and cheese.
- Place the dish into the oven on 190 or gas mark 6 for 40 minutes.
- When finished the dish can be cut into 6 sections.
Mexican Made Easy
Cooking Mexican food is fast and simple, if you enjoy Mexican food but don't know where to start in the kitchen, I would suggest buying a book that gives you a simple step by step guide to get you started.
Mexican Made Easy is a very handy book detailing ingredients and easy to follow recipes to help you kick start a Mexican passion your family will love...
I would suggest serving this dish with salad, garlic bread or Mexican rice it doesn't need much else because each portion is very filling.
I would also have extra sour cream and salsa on the table for people who like to add their own extras on the side.
My top tips for this dish
Hopefully some helpful advice to improve the quality of the Mexican lasagne
1. No matter what meal you are making you should always buy the best quality meat, normally buying meat from a supermarket is not your best bet, if you have time go to a local butcher the quality should be excellent or find when your local farmers market is taking place, meat traders sell their own stock and love what they do it's a no brainier compared to supermarkets.
2. Take your time when buying vegetables don't just pick up the first ones you see in the store.
3. Taste as you go, this also apply's to any dish, you should always taste to make sure it's not to spicy or salty for example.
4. Experiment, the first time you make a dish even if you follow someone's recipe perfectly it may not be to your liking, don't give up on the dish make notes and change things around next time you make the recipe.
|Serving size: 312g|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 41 g||14%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Protein 25 g||50%|
|Cholesterol 48 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to make chilli con carne from scratch
Above I have included a quick way to make the Mexican lasagne simply using a chilli sauce from a jar, to get better results you could try making the chilli con carne from scratch below is a video guide on how to make a traditional chilli.
How to make Chilli from scratch
Make your own tortillas
Making your own tortillas is a little time consuming and the ones you can buy off the shelf are not bad but if you have time you can make your own tortillas from scratch.
I've found a recipe and how to guide online take a look and have a go at making your own tortillas
How to make tortillas video demo by a crazy woman
If I could suggest one item for the kitchen that really makes a big difference to your Mexican dinner it would be the tortilla warmer.
It's simple and cheap but priceless in my opinion, being able to serve your tortillas warm ! I guess it's the simple things that make me happy.
Tell Everyone Your Opinion
Thank you for taking the time to read all of my hub, I hope this page was useful and you enjoy the recipe.
If you have any questions or require help with making this recipe please message me from my profile page I will be glad to help.
Your feedback regaring this hub is very important, it lets me know if this information is helpful to people like you and me.
If you like this hub as much as I like you please share with your friends on facebook, twitter or G+