- Food and Cooking
Milk Burfi Recipe
Rate this recipe please!
Burfi is a sweet confection of South Asia. Plain burfi is the solidified form of condensed milk and sugar. Coconut burfi, kaaju burfi, pista burfi and besan burfi are some popular burfis that are prepared during auspicious occasions. The interesting fact with burfis is that they can be prepared very quickly.
History of burfi
‘Barfi’ or ‘burfi’ derives from the Persian word ‘barf’ meaning snow. This sweet has the appearance of snow, white in color. Burfi is often flavored with fruits or nuts and spices such as cardamom. They are cut into square, diamond or round shapes to serve. Different types of burfi vary greatly in their color and texture.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 25 burfi
Milk burfi recipe
Any dessert made up of milk is scrumptious and milk burfi is a sweet that ponders me which my mother used to make for all of us. It’s a quick, easy dessert that can be prepared to treat when you’ve a surprise guest.
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 7 to 8 cardamom pods
- Boil milk and add 3 tbs of lemon juice into it to curdle. When milk solids get separated, remove the whey. Take a muslin cloth and pour the milk solids into it and tie tightly so that excess water comes out of it. Keep it like that for 3 hours.
- Then you can see the Paneer(cheese) soft and mix it with milk powder to form a dough.
- Now pour sugar in a kadai and make sugar syrup of 2 string consistency. Then add the dough into it and stir continuously so that no any thick lumps are formed.
- When the mixture solidifies, pour ghee and cardamom powder into it and stir well. When it is absorbed completely, spread the mixture into a plate greased with ghee. Let it cool.
- Cut square shaped burfis making marks across. If you want, garnish these soft burfis with cherries or pistachio.
Some tips for making milk burfi
- Stirring is the essential part of making burfis. They may burn if given a break or pause.
- Always stir milk on medium flame. Reducing milk on high flame may cause it stick to the bottom of the wok.
- Too much of sugar may make the sweet cloying and sticky, so be sure to take the right amount.
- To ensure final stage, drip a little of the thickened milk into a plate while stirring. If it solidifies in a minute or two, stop stirring and transfer it to a greased plate. This is called crystallization of sugar.
Do you like milk burfi?
|Serving size: 1 burfi|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 17 g||6%|
|Sugar 16 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 16 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Asian dessert recipe; gulab jamuns
Gulab jamun is a popular dessert of South Asia. The traditional method of preparing this dessert is from milk solids. Recipes of gulab jamuns made out of milk powder has been discussed in detail here.
- Indian dessert recipe: Seven cup cake
Seven cup cake is a delicious Indian dessert easier to make. All the ingredients are common and easily available in the market. The name ‘seven cup’ is derived from the fact that this dessert is prepared out of seven cups of ingredients exactly.
- Sweets recipes; Rava ladoo and rava kesari
This hub discusses the recipes of rava ladoo and kesari. These are two sweets prepared in Indian households during auspicious occasions.