Million $Dollar$ Chicken Recipe
Rate this chicken recipe
Lemon, garlic, thyme
Prep the chicken
Once you decide you are going to make this recipe, start the day before you plan to cook it by seasoning the inside and outside of the chicken using kosher salt and ground pepper.
Take 5 cloves of garlic and mince it with a garlic press (or mincer). Take the minced garlic and rub it on the inside of the bird. *If you don't have a garlic mincer you can just cut the garlic clove into small pieces*.
Take a lemon that is cut in half and put it inside the chicken along with bay leaf and thyme.
If you'd like you can Trusse the chicken with butcher's twine, it's up to you. I like to keep my ingredients from falling out and the chicken nice and tight by trussing the chicken after I have prepped it.
**Trussing a chicken is taking the wings and tucking them behind the birds back, at the ankles wrap the legs together. Bring the string or twine to the back over the legs. Crisscross the twine on the chickens back, then back to it's legs; knotting it tightly around the ankles**
Ingredients for chicken
- 3 1/2 pound Whole chicken, Organic
- Pinch Kosher salt
- ◾Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Lemon
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Olive oil
- 1 Slice sourdough, cut 3/4-inch thick (day old bread is perfect!)
- Malden salt
- CREME FRAICHE GLAZE: Ingredients
- 1 Cup Crème fraiche
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Shallots, grated on a fine zester
- 1 Teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- The day you are going to cook the chicken remove it from the refrigerator 30 mins before roasting it. Preheat oven to 425 Lightly oil your roasting pan and place the sourdough in the middle of the pan, then lay the chicken on top of the sourdough. Sparingly cover the chicken in olive oil or brush on a coat of butter. Put the pan in the oven, basting it every 15 minutes.
- Assemble the glaze by adding the ingredients together in a bowl and whisking it until it is thoroughly combined.
- When the chicken is almost done cooking and the juices are running pink and the legs are starting to become soft- brush glaze onto the chicken with a bit of the crème fraiche glaze. It will start to caramelize, then brush on another layer.
- The chicken should be cooked through and golden brown by now. The sourdough is crispy on the side in contact with the pan, and moist and juicy on the other side touching the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into servings. Cut the sourdough and serve with the chicken.
- 9.Garnish with lemon and sprinkle it with Malden salt.
© 2015 Karen Ranoni