Minnesota Cooking: Au Gratin Potatoes from Scratch
Au Gratin Potatoes
This used to be a wash day meal. It used to be mixed up and placed on top of the stove and baked while the mom was doing the laundry. The laundry was an all day job, in the washing machine. Through the wringer. Rinse. Hang to dry.
The mom would be there most of the day.
The pan will be coated with browned milk by the time it is finished. That is normal. The dish is hard to clean. May require much soaking to get clean.
But, the potatoes, oh so worth the wait and the time spent.
- butter pan, slice potatoes with Salad Shooter. Layer with onions, ham, celery, cheese. Seasoned salt.
- complete layers. Add fry magic to layers. Add cup of butter.
- Add milk to cover. Bring to boil in oven, and boil for 30 minutes.
- Bake until thick.
- 8 raw potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 quart milk
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup ham, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned Salt